Many of the users face the problem of windows 10 boot configuration data file is missing error. This prevents users from booting up the computer normally. The users will also see a message on screen which will be telling them that their computer needs repairing.
This boot configuration data is missing windows 10 error occurs due to one of the two reasons:-
- The missing or damaged files of BCD or Boot on the active partition.
- Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store is missing the Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr).
Steps to fix the Windows 10 boot configuration data file is missing error
When you start up your computer, it checks for all the required data and files for starting up the computer successfully. Hence, if any of these important files go missing or gets corrupted, then the computer will not be able to startup and will show the error message.
The BCD file is one of the important files. If this goes missing or gets corrupted, then it will cause a problem for the computer to boot up. In this situation, the error message of boot configuration data is missing windows 10 shows up on the screen. You will be able to solve this problem by applying any of the given solutions:-
1. Automatic Repair or Run Startup
You can solve this problem by repairing the Windows installation process with the help of the recovery tool you have on the installation media like USB or DVD. Follow the given steps to successfully execute the process:-
- At first, you have to insert the recovery tool and restart the computer.
- Then, you will be asked to press any key for starting the booting process from the DVD or the CD.
- After that, you have to select your preferred language and select Next.
- Now, you will see an option of ‘Repair your computer’ at the left-bottom corner and click it.
- Then you have to select the option of ‘Troubleshoot’ in the ‘Choose an option’ page.
- After that, you have to click on ‘Automatic Repair’ in the ‘Advanced options’ screen.
- Now, you have to wait for the completion of the process.
Restart your computer to see if your problem for the boot configuration data for your pc is missing still persists. If yes, then you can go to the next solution.
2. Put the right partition to be active
This problem of boot configuration data is missing windows 10 is faced by many because they have made active the wrong partition. Without setting the correct partition to be active, this problem cannot be solved.
For this process, you can download any third-party partition manager. With these tools, you will be able to easily set the correct partition as active. After you have done setting the partitions, you have to restart your computer. This will resolve the boot configuration data for your pc is missing problem. However, if you sill see the error message, then move to the next solution.
3. Using the Bootrec.exe tool for rebuilding the BCD
Rebuilding the BCD can also solve this problem. In the Windows Recovery Environment, you have to use the Bootrec.exe tools for this process. Follow the given steps for doing the procedure successfully:-
- Boot the computer by using the bootable drive of Windows.
- After that, select the preferred language and press ‘Next’.
- Then, open the command prompt by pressing ‘Shift + F10’ simultaneously.
- Now type the given commands:-
After writing them, press Enter.
- If you see that the above command have failed, then you can try by putting another command given below:-
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
- Now, you have to write ‘exit’ after the command and click Enter.
- Lastly, restart your computer.
If the boot configuration data is missing windows 10 error is not solved, then you can move to the next solution.
4. Build the BCD
Now, you can try to solve the solution by building the BCD. Follow the given steps to do it successfully:-
- Boot the computer by inserting the Windows bootable drive.
- Then, after selecting your preferred language, press ‘Next’.
- After that, you have to select the ‘Repair your computer’ option.
- Then, select the option of ‘Troubleshoot’.
- Now, click ‘Command Prompt’.
- Next, you have to press enter after typing the given command:-
- This command will help to copy the BCD boot file to the motherboard partition from the existing partition. Then, in the same partition, it will build the new BCD.
- Lastly, restart your computer.
The solutions for the boot configuration data for your pc is missing discussed above are among the best ones out there. Any one of these solutions is bound to work for this problem. Apply the solution which is best suited for you.