Norton, as you know, is one of the most well-known and popular antiviruses that protect you from various malware and online threats. However, there are some technical glitches with Norton that obstruct the otherwise smooth workflow. One of them is the error that comes with the message “Cannot Connect to Norton Server”. This error is mostly caused when the software is unable to connect to the network. You will have full access to the software though. Because it does not restrict the software form performing the basic functions.
If you are here with the same error, then you are in the right place. As in this article, we are going to discuss the error and the fixes to resolve it quickly.
Possible Causes of the Error
A number of different factors can lead to this error. Before you start with the fixes, you should know the causes behind the error.
- An incomplete or improper download of the software
- When there is a corrupted system file in your Windows computer
- When the Windows Firewall settings are changed
- Norton might be infected by some malicious programs.
As you are now aware of the causes behind the error “Cannot Connect to Norton Server” it is now easy for you to solve it.
Solutions to Fix “Cannot Connect to Norton Server” Error
Now without wasting any more time, let’s jump to the solutions to fix the error. The solutions are provided according to the Operating System version you are using.
In Windows 10
Restart your PC
The first and the easiest thing you can do is restart the system. Many users reported that this error got fixed after they restarted their system. And to do that, close all the programs that are open and then restart your PC. Once the PC starts, check if the error still persists or not. If the error has not solved then you can go to the next fix.
Check if the Browser is Set as Default
You have to check if the browser you are using is set as default or not. If not, you can follow these steps to do so.
- Open Settings from the Start Menu.
- Then click on System.
- Now you have to click on Default apps.
- Navigate to the Web Browser option and then select the browser you want to use as the default browser.
- Then you can try to activate the Norton product.
In Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1
Restart the PC
Similar to Windows 10, the first thing to do in Windows 7 is to restart the system. Many users reported that they fixed the error by restarting their system. And to do that, close all the active programs and then restart your PC. Once the PC starts, check if the error still persists or not. If the error has not been solved then you can move to the next fix.
Change the Default Web browser of the System
Sometimes you can opt to change the default browser of the system. Follow the steps below.
- Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box. Once the dialog box opens, you have to type “control” and then hit Enter.
- When the Control Panel window opens, change the View by section to Category.
- After that go to Programs.
- Navigate to “Set your Default Programs” located under the Default Program option and click on it.
- You now have to select the preferred browser that you want to set as the default one.
- Now, to save the changes, click on Ok.
Uninstall Norton Family
However, if the above methods did not solve the issue then you can remove the Norton Product. Here’s how you can do it:
- Open the official website of the Norton and then download, the “Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool” followed by saving it on the desktop.
- Now to launch the application you have to double-click on the NRnR icon.
- A window will popup showing the license agreement. You have to click on the “Agree” option followed by clicking on the “Advanced” option.
- Lastly, click on “Remove” and then restart your PC.
Once the PC restarts, follow the on-screen notifications and reinstall Norton. If you don’t see any other updates you can run the LiveUpdate and then restart the PC when asked.
Run LiveUpdate for “Cannot communicate with Norton server” error.
If you face any more issue with the LiveUpdate cannot communicate with the server, then you can check the following steps to fix the issue.
- Open the Norton application.
- Then click on Security, followed by clicking on LiveUpdate which is on the main menu.
- Once the LiveUpdate is finished, click on OK.
- Wait until you see the prompt “Your Norton protection has latest protection updates”. Once it shows, run the LiveUpdate.
- After that, exit all the programs and then restart the PC.
That is all regarding why you cannot connect to the Norton server and how to fix the error. You can follow and implement the methods for a quick fix to this error. However, you need to check the internet connectivity and speed of the system to make sure the issue is not due to poor internet connection.