The 0x80070bc2 update failed error generally shows up in Windows 10 when an update has been downloaded and is about to be installed. However, this error can also occur on Windows 7 as well as Windows 8. This is a very annoying error and it prevents the users from completing the updates.
So, if you are facing this error, then you are in the right place. Here, we will be discussing some of the best methods to get rid of this error permanently.
Prominent Fixes to Resolve “0x80070bc2 Update Failed” Issue:
So, let us see some of the most effective solutions that you can implement on your device to resolve this issue:-
Fix 1: Customize Some Windows Services Settings to Automatic Startup
Windows Update depends upon four primary services, namely Windows Update Service, Trusted Installer Service, Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and Cryptographic Service.
In order to install the updates properly, all of these services are needed to be customized to start up automatically. Follow the given below steps to execute this process successfully:-
- Open the Start Menu and type “Command Prompt” in the search bar.
- Now, form the search result, you have to right-click on the first result. From the context menu, select the “Run as Administrator”.
- After that, you have to write the given command and after writing each one, you have to press Enter. Then, you have to wait until the completion of the process.
- When the process completes, you will see a message of “Process Successful” appear on the screen.
SC config wuauserv start= auto
SC config bits start= auto
SC config cryptsvc start= auto
SC config trustedinstaller start= auto
- Lastly, reboot your PC, and see if the problem of “0x80070bc2 update failed” is solved or not.
What to Do If the Command Fails to Run?
However, there are various reasons that may stop the commands from getting executed. In that case, you have to perform the process manually. This is a bit of a long process but not very difficult to follow.
- Press the R and Windows Key to open the dialog box of Run.
- Then, write “services.msc” in the dialog box and then press the “OK” button.
- Now, in the service list, you have to find the “Cryptographic Service”. Then, right-click on it and click on the “Properties” option.
- You have to stop the service if you see that it has started. To stop the service, you just have to press the “Stop” button. You can leave as it is if the process is already stopped.
- Now, you have to ensure that the Startup Type option is set at “Automatic”. If any dialog box appears on the screen, then you have to accept them.
- After that, click on the “Start” button to start the process again.
In Case an Error Shows Up:
However, if you receive an error message after this, saying that the Windows is unable to start the process of Cryptographic Service, then you can follow the given below steps:-
- You can open the Cryptographic Service by following the previous method.
- Then, go to the “Log On” tab. After that, press the “Browse” button.
- In the “Enter the Object Name to Select” box, you have to enter the name of your account. After that, press the option of Check Names. Then wait until the name is being recognized.
- When you have finished the process, click on “OK”. Then, in the password box, you have to type in your password.
You have to follow the same procedure for the other services as well. After that, check if the “0x80070bc2 update failed” error has been solved.
Fix 2: Apply Windows Update Troubleshooter
Usually, the built-in troubleshooters are not very useful. However, this time they have done a really good job. You will be able to locate the cause of your problem by running it. So, let us see the procedure to run it for the various Windows versions:-
For Windows 10
- Open the Start Menu and select the “Settings” option. However, you can also search for “Settings” in the search bar.
- Now, go to the “Update & Security” section. After that, go to the “Troubleshoot” tab on the right pane of the window.
- Then, you have to select the “Windows Update” option. After that, you have to follow the instructions shown on the screen. Now, the troubleshooter will run and check for any problems with the processes and services of Windows Update.
- When the process of Windows Update Troubleshooter is complete, you have to go to the “Troubleshooter” section again. Then, you have to select the “Internet Connections Troubleshooter” option.
After the process is complete, reboot your PC. When your PC turns back on, check if the problem of 0x80070bc2 update failed error still exists or not.
For Older Versions of Windows
- Open the Start Menu and locate the option of Control Panel, or you can type “Control Panel” in the search bar.
- On the Control Panel window, you can change the option of “View by” to “Large Icons”. Now, scroll down the window and find the Troubleshooting entry.
- In the “Troubleshooting” window, you have to scroll down and locate the option of “Fix problems with Windows Update” under the section of “System and Security”.
- Click on it and click on the “Next” option. You have to wait patiently until the completion of the troubleshooting process.
When the process is completed, check if the 0x80070bc2 error is still showing up.
Fix 3: Manually Update the Installer
You can also face this error due to the malfunctioning of the Update Installer. This makes the update to show an error at the time of installing. So, you can try to download these updates and install them manually.
- Go to the official website of Microsoft Support. From there, find the latest update for your Windows version. The latest updates will be the first in the list of updates in this window.
- You have to copy the Knowledge Base or KB number including the letters of “KB” located beside the latest OS update.
- Now, perform a search in the “Microsoft Update Catalog” for the KB number that you copied earlier. Paste it there, and click on the Search button.
- After that, select the right correct update for your computer and then click on the “Download” button.
- When the downloading process is complete, you have to run the file. Then follow the on-screen instructions. This will help you to update your computer successfully.
- Next, you have to restart your system after the updating process is complete. This will install the updates on your system.
After this, you will face no problem when you will try to perform another update as the 0x80070bc2 update failed problem gets solved.
Keeping your Windows up to date is very necessary, and when this error occurs, it prevents you from downloading any updates. So, in this case, you need to apply these effective and easy to implement solutions. Hopefully, you will be able to solve this update problem by applying any one of these solutions stated above.