Apple users do not need an introduction to AirDrop. It is one of the coolest and most useful features known to iOS users. AirDrop enables you to transfer files to another nearby iOS device wirelessly. It uses Bluetooth to establish a peer-to-peer WiFi network among the nearby iOS devices. Besides, all the data that are transferred to the nearby devices are encrypted from end to end. However, sometimes the AirDrop is unable to detect the nearby devices, which is now very common among many users. So, if you are encountering the same issue with AirDrop, then you are in the right place to fix the problem. In this guide, we have provided all the solutions that you can utilize for fixing AirDrop Not Working.
List of Devices Compatible with AirDrop
Before you move to the solutions to fix the AirDrop Not Working issue, it is important to know which iOS devices are compatible with AirDrop. As it might be the case that the device you are trying to connect is not compatible with AirDrop. Check if your device is listed or not.
AirDrop between Mac and iPad or iPhone:
- MacBooks that are using OSX Yosemite or later version.
- iPad and iPhone that are using iOS 7 or later version
AirDrop between different Macs:
- MacBook Pros’ which were introduced in 2008 or later, except the MacBook Pro 17-inch.
- MacBook Air from 2010 and later version
- MacBooks from 2008 or later except for the White one.
- iMac from the early 2009 or later versions.
- Mac Mini from the mid-2010 or later versions.
- Mac Pro from 2009 and its later versions.
- iMac Pro all the versions.
Important Steps to Remember
Now if you find the device that you are trying to connect with the AirDrop, in the above list, then there are a few factors that you need to pay attention to.
- Ensure that the device you are using is in iOS 7 or macOS 10.7 or later versions.
- Turn on the Bluetooth as well as the WIFi of the device before you turn on the AirDrop.
- Make sure that the distance between the devices is within 10 meters or 30 feet.
Procedures to Fix the AirDrop Not Working issue:
Here we have provided all the methods that you can implement to fix the AirDrop Not Working on Mac, iPhone or iPad. However, the fixation is easy for the Mac as it has more access to the Terminal Settings of the AirDrop. For more information, you can go through the following instructions.
Solution 1: Adjust AirDrip on the Device
You might not know but AirDrop has three different levels of connection points. And these are Off Contacts and Everyone, which is open for all. So it is important to identify and verify which one is for whom.
For iPhone/iPad User:
- Open the Settings menu of the device.
- Then, open the General options by tapping on it.
- Now navigate to the AirDrop option.
- After that, check the option of the AirDrop and then change it accordingly.
For Mac User:
If you are trying to connect AirDrop of the iPhone/iPad with the Mac then you can follow the steps given below.
- Firstly, open the Finder app from the top corner of the screen.
- Then you have to locate the AirDrop option and click on it from the left sidebar.
- After that, you have to toggle between the option of Contacts and Everyone.
Once the process is complete, you can now connect with the Mac. These are the set of instructions you need to follow for fixing the AirDrop iPhone to Mac Not Working issue.
Solution 2: Toggle the Wireless Connections
As mentioned above, it is mandatory to turn on the WiFi as well as Bluetooth before turning on the AirDrop. If even after doing so, you encounter the AirDrop Not Working issue, then you can go through this solution.
For iPhone/iPad User:
- From the Home screen, tap on the gear icon to open the Settings menu.
- Then open the Wi-Fi Settings, now turn it Off and turn it On again.
- Similarly, open the Bluetooth menu, now turn it Off and turn it On again.
Now check if the connection is established or not.
For Mac User:
- Go to the top left corner of the screen and then click on the Apple logo, thereby select the System Preferences option.
- From there, you have to click on the Network option. Now, open the Wi-Fi settings, turn it Off and turn it On again
- Thereafter, come back to the Network section and similarly, open the Bluetooth menu, now turn it Off and turn it On again.
Once you are done with these steps, check if this method has solved the issue or not.
Apart from the above steps, you can Turn on the Airplane Mode and then toggle it Off again for all the devices, iPhone, iPad or Mac.
Solution 3: Performing a Hard Reset
If none of the above solutions fixes the issue then all you can do is to perform a hard reset of the Device. Below, we have provided the steps for doing that. This solution has more success rates in fixing AirDrop Not Working Mac.
For iPad User:
If you are an iPad user, then all you have to do is to press and hold the On/Off button and also hold the Home button. Ensure to hold the button until the device display turns black and then turn on.
For iPhone 6/6s User:
If you are an iPhone 6 or 6s user then simply press the On/Off button until the device display turns black and then turn on.
For iPhone 7 User:
For iPhone 7 users, hold the On/Off button and also the Volume Down button. Now wait until the device display turns black and then turn On and the Apple logo is shown.
For iPhone 8 and Latest Version User:
All the users from the iPhone 8 onwards can follow this method to hard reset their device.
Click on the Volume Up and release it. Similarly, click on the Volume Down and release it. Now press and hold the Sleep/Wake button, additionally hold down the Side button. Now you have to wait until the device display turns black and then turn On and the Apple logo is shown.
For Mac User:
The steps to hard reset the Mac are way easier compared to iPhone devices. First, you have to click on the I I icon followed by clicking on the Restart option of the menu. Now try to connect with AirDrop and check if the AirDrop Not Working issue is fixed or not.
Solution 4: Update to the Latest Version of the OS
As you know, it is important to stay updated with the Operating System, as it ensures that there is no presence of bugs or errors in the system. If the device that you are using has an outdated operating system then this might be the factor that is causing the AirDrop Not Working issue. Therefore, open the Settings menu of your iPhone/iPad device, open the General section and then tap on the Software Update option. Similarly, check the version of the MacBook that you are using and then update it if required.
Solution 5: Reset the Network Connection
According to many users, resetting the Network Connection of the device has solved the problem. So, if you are facing the AirDrop iPhone to Mac Not Working issue, then you can follow this procedure.
- Tap on the gear icon to open the Settings menu of the device.
- Then open the General section by tapping on it.
- Now locate the Reset button and tap on it to continue.
- From there tap on the Reset Network Settings option.
- In the next screen, you have to provide the Passcode, once prompted.
- Lastly, tap on the Reset Network Settings button to confirm.
That is all with the procedures that you can implement to fix the AirDrop Not Working issue. These are some of the easy methods to try. Follow the solutions and check which one solves the issue for you.