Computers are used for doing multiple tasks, often simultaneously. So, it is also very important to be able to switch to different applications quickly. This is done on Windows 10 by pressing Alt-Tab keys simultaneously. However, many of the Windows 10 users have reported that they are unable to use the alt-tab shortcut. This is not limited to Windows 10 only and can be found on various versions of Windows. So, if you are facing this problem and asking “why is alt tab not working?”, then you are in the right place. Here, I will be discussing the most effective methods to solve this problem.
Solutions to fix Alt Tab not working
Solving this Alt Tab glitch is not a difficult task. All you need to do is follow and apply the fixes mentioned below one by one and the issue should be fixed.
Fix 1. Switch off your computer and disconnect all the cables
You must switch off your computer and then disconnect all the cables and devices attached to it. Wait for a few minutes and then connect them all again. After that, turn on your computer. However, if you are using a laptop, you must also disconnect all the attached cables and devices, and additionally, remove your battery as well. Then after waiting for a few minutes, connect them again and turn on the laptop. After turning on the device, check if the ‘Alt Tab not working’ problem is solved or not.
Fix 2. Check your keyboard
It is also possible that your keyboard may be malfunctioning. If your keyboard is not working properly, then your computer will be unable to receive the command of Alt-Tab from your keyboard and hence cause this problem. So, if you have spilled any water, or your keyboard has sustained internal damage, it will show problems. You can try changing the keyboard and check if the Alt Tab shortcut is now working.
Fix 3. Restart Windows Explorer
Another way of solving this problem is by restarting Windows Explorer. So, let us see the way of restarting them:-
- Open the “Task Manager” by pressing the Del, Alt, and CTRL button simultaneously.
- Go to the tab of “Processes” and locate the “File Explorer”.
- Then, right-click on it and select the option of “Restart”.
- Now, close the Task Manager and open multiple applications and see if the Alt Tab not working Windows 10 problem is solved or not.
Fix 4. Go to registry and change the Alt-Tab value
With this solution, you will be able to values of Alt-Tab Registry and make the keys available. You can follow the steps given below to complete the process.
- Open the Run box by pressing the R and Windows keys simultaneously.
- In the Run box, type “regedit” and click the button of “OK”.
- This will open the Registry Editor, and then you have to go to the folder of “Computer”. After that, open the folder of “HKEY_CURRENT_USER” and then go to the folder of “Software”. Then, go to “Microsoft”, “Windows”, “CurrentVersion”, and lastly to the “Explorer” folder.
- In this folder, locate the option of “AltTabSettings” and then double-click on it.
- Now, a small window will pop-up. Here, you have to set the value data to 1 and save the change by clicking on the “OK” option.
Now, open multiple applications and see if the Alt Tab not working problem is resolved or not.
Fix 5. Check the Hotkeys
Another reason for which this error can occur is that these hotkeys have somehow been disabled. This can at times happen because of malware. To check the settings of the hotkeys, you can follow these steps:-
- Press the R and the Windows button to bring up the Run box. Here, you have to write “gpedit.msc” and press the button of “OK”. This will make the “Group Policy Editor” window appear on the screen.
- In this window, you have to go to the folder of “Local Computer Policy”. After that, go to the folder of “User Configuration”, and then open the folder of “Administrative Templates”. Now, go to the folder of “Windows Components” and then to “File Explorer”.
- After that, search the list for the option of “Turn off Windows Key hotkeys”. Now, open the menu by double-clicking on it and then click on the button of “Enable”.
- To save the changes you have made, you have to click on the option of “Apply” and then on “OK”.
After this process is complete, check if the “Alt Tab not working” error is solved or not.
Fix 6. Turn on the Peek option
Many users have reported that they were able to solve the problem by turning on the option of “Peek”. So, let’s see the procedure to enable the option:-
- Press the R and Windows button simultaneously and open the Run box. Here, you have to type “sysdm.cpl” and press the “OK” button. This will open the window of “System Properties”.
- Now, go to the tab of “Advanced” and then go to the section of “Performance” and select the option of “Settings”.
- Within the window of “Performance Option” locate the option of “Enable Peek” and see if the box beside it is checked. You must check it if it is not checked.
Now, see if the “Alt Tab not working” problem is resolved or not.
Fix 7. Update your Windows
Keeping your Windows 10 system up to date is very important. Many users make the mistake of ignoring these updates. As a result of which, this kind of error shows up. So, you should update your Windows 10 as soon as possible. It will not only solve this problem but other problems as well. Follow the steps below to update Windows 10 manually.
- Press the R and Windows key to open the Run box.
- In Run, you have to write the command of “ms-settings:windowsupdate” and hit Enter.
- The page for Windows update will appear on the screen.
- In this page, click on the button of “Check for updates”. Windows will now search for any available updates.
- You will see the button of Install. Click on this button to start the installation. The process will take some time to complete. You may also see some reboots of your computer during the process.
- After the installation is complete, go to “Advanced Options”. Here, under the section of “Choose How Updates Are Installed”, you have to ensure that the option of “Automatic (Recommended)” is selected.
When the process is complete, see if the “Alt Tab not working” glitch is fixed or not.
Quickly switching between apps is very important when you are multitasking. So, to solve this Alt Tab, not working problem, you can use the above solutions. These are very effective and easy to implement. Perform the solutions one by one until you solve the problem.