Are you facing a high CPU usage issue with your Avast software? Then you are at the right place to get answers to all your queries regarding this issue. This article will provide you overall step-by-step guidance to fix Avast Service High CPU Usage.
Avast antivirus provides real-time operations and scanning in the background. But as this antivirus software runs a lot of processes in the background and checks the computer cleanup processes, there are high chances that it might slow down the performance of your CPU. So, if you encounter this particular problem, then have a look at the rest of the article to fix it as soon as possible.
Fix the Avast Service High CPU Usage Problem:
As these processes are constantly running in the background, it can make your PC slow. Therefore, it will interrupt the other processes running on the PC. All the processes by Avast take up a lot of CPU performances. Thus, causes the Avast service to take high CPU usage. You can check it by going to the Task Manager in the CPU usage. There are a lot of the solutions listed below that you need to follow to fix the issue.
Step 1: Reinstall the Avast Cleanup
Avast provides real-time protection to your PC from threats, and it is done by the Avast Cleanup Tool. Basically, it works in the different apps running in the background to free the resources. But sometimes it uses a lot of CPU performances. So you can just simply reinstall the Avast Cleanup. To do so, you need to go through the following steps:
- From the System Tray, open the Avast GUI.
- Then you have to go to the Settings.
- After that, go to the Protection option of Avast.
- Under the Core Shields, you will see a list of real-time shields.
- Check for the shields which you do not need and select them. Then click on Uninstall.
- Lastly, restart your PC.
Now, you have to go to the Task Manager and check if the problem is fixed or not. If not, then check out the rest of the steps.
Step 2: Change Scan Frequency
As you know that the scanning process runs in the background, this can also be the reason behind the high CPU usage. So, you just have to change the scan frequency. Check out the below steps for changing the scan frequency.
- First of all, press Windows + R to open the Run dialog box. Once it opens, type cmd and then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter. This will open the Command Prompt box with Administrative Privileges.
- Go to the Avast Folder and type the command below and click on Enter.
cd C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast
- After that, open the ini file and alter the Scan frequency. Write the following command,
[GrimeFighter] : ScanFrequency=999
- Now, you have to restart the system but save the file before that.
Step 3: Disable the Avast Screensaver Scan
Sometimes the Avast Screensaver Scan keeps on scanning in the background and thus causes the High CPU usage. All you can do it just simply disable it. For that, you can follow the steps listed below.
- On any random file on your system, right-click and then choose the Scan With Avast
- After that, a scan result will pop-up and you will see a list of scanning in the background of your system.
- Then go to the Avast Screensaver scan and then click on the Stop button right next to it
- Now, you have to exit the window and check the CPU usage.
Step 4: Update the Avast Software
Avast sometimes gets outdated and it drastically increases the CPU usage. Many users have reported that by updating the software, they have solved the problem. Therefore, you can update the Avast Software with the help of the steps stated hereunder.
- In the beginning, open the Avast GUI which is in the Notification tray
- After that, check the current version of the antivirus as well as the definitions under the Update tab
- Then you have to check if there are any pending updates. And if any updates are still left, then click on the Update button.
Step 5: Reset the Avast Application
Lastly, if none of the above steps solve the problem, then you can reset the Avast software. As there can be many bugs or errors in the latest version of Avast. So in order to fix this, you need to repair the software. Follow the instructions listed below to reset the software.
- Open the Control Panel from the Settings and then select Programs and Features
(You can even open the WinX menu and for that press Windows + R and look for Apps and Features at the top )
- Now, in the list of applications, find the Avast and then click on the Uninstall/Change.
- Then click on Change
- After that, you have to click on Repair.
- Wait until Avast repairs the client software and changes the data files.
- Lastly, restart your PC and check for the problem.
Being one of the best antiviruses, Avast is available free of cost. But due to the high resource use of the PC, it often annoys the users. So you can go the instructions stated above and check if the problem is solved or not.