The dns_probe_finished_bad_config error occurs on all versions of Windows, including Windows 10. However, this is a very common problem on the Windows OS. This is a DNS related error and it prevents you from anything on the internet.
Additionally, this DNS error can also occur on browsers like Opera, Safari, Mozilla Firefox, Chrome, and other browsers as well.
If you are facing this problem, then do not worry at all. It is not very difficult to solve, just you need to follow some of the effective solutions discussed here to get rid of this problem.
Probable Solutions to Overcome “Dns_Probe_Finished_Bad_Config” Error:
So, here are the solutions that you can implement to solve this dns_probe_finished_bad_config error:-
Solution 1: Restart the Router
When you encounter this error, your first step should be to restart the router. This can fix the error no matter on what device you are encountering this problem. Additionally, you can also restart your computer. After restarting both the router and your computer, now connect to the network through LAN cable or Wi-Fi.
After that, you will be able to access any website without any problem. However, if you are still facing the “dns_probe_finished_bad_config” error, then you can move on to the next solution.
Solution 2: Delete the Cache of the Browser
This error can also be caused due to a corrupt cache. So, it is better to clear the browser cache when you are facing this DNS error. You must do it, no matter what browser you are using. Follow the given below steps to clear the cache:-
- Open the browser you are using.
- After that, open the “Settings” option of your browser.
- Now, you have to locate the option like “History” or “Browsing data” or anything of that sort and click on it.
- Next, you have to select the option to delete the cache data and clear all the cookies.
After this, check if the dns_probe_finished_bad_config error is still showing up. If yes, you can try out the next solution.
Solution 3: Clear All the Temporary Files
There are many temporary files that get stored on your computer. This helps to increase the browsing experience by quickly accessing the data later when you try to access them. However, you will also see this error when some of these temporary files get corrupted. You will be able to delete these files from your computer by following the given steps:-
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing the R and the Windows key.
- However, you will also be able to open the Run box by opening the Start menu and then go to the “All Programs” option. Here, you will be able to locate the Run box.
- When the Run box is opened, you have to write “%temp%” in it. Then, hit the Enter button.
- This will show you the list of all the temporary files on your computer.
If you are a Mac user, then you can access the temporary files by following the given steps:-
- First, you have to press the G + CMD + Shift key simultaneously.
- This will open a dialog box.
- Here, you have to type “~/Library/Caches”.
- Now, you will be able to see all the stored temporary files of your Mac.
After this process, you will have the list of all the temporary files on your system. All you have to do is to select the files you want to delete and then click on the “Delete” option. Now, check if the internet is accessible or not. If the dns_probe_finished_bad_config error is still showing, then you should try the next method.
Solution 4: Reset your Chrome Browser
If you are a Google Chrome user, then you can follow this method. By following the steps provided hereunder, you will be able to reset the Chrome browser:-
- Open your Google Chrome.
- Click on the icon of three dots and select the option of “Settings”.
- Then, locate the “Advanced Settings” option by scrolling down the window.
- Click on the “Advanced Settings” option.
- Now, at the end of the page, you will be able to see the button of “Reset Settings”. Click on this to reset the browser of Chrome.
After this process, the dns_probe_finished_bad_config problem will most likely get resolved. This method will work for other browsers also.
Solution 5: Altering the DNS Address
Another way to solve this problem is to change the DNS address. You can change the DNS address by following the steps stated below:-
- Open the Start menu and locate the “Open Network and Sharing Center” option. After that, click on it.
- For the Windows 10 or Windows 8 users, you can just search for “Network and Sharing” in the search bar. This will bring up the required settings.
- Now, from the “Network Settings” page, you have to select the “Change Adapter Settings” option.
- After that, locate the “Network Connection settings” option and right-click on it. From the context menu, you have to select the option of “Properties”.
- Next, you have to select the “Internet Protocol Version 4” option. Then, click on the “Properties” tab.
- After that, you will be able to change the address of the DNS server. You have to change it to 184.108.40.206.
- Now, in the other field of the DNS server, you have to enter 220.127.116.11.
- Lastly, save the settings.
Try to use your browser and see if the dns_probe_finished_bad_config error is still showing up. If it is not yet solved, you can try the next fix.
Solution 6: Disable all the Antimalware and Antivirus Software
You can try to disable your antivirus to fix this DNS problem. Every antivirus software has a little bit different process of disabling them. Here, the example of Windows Defender is being provided.
- Open the Start menu and in the search bar, you have to type “defender”. From the search result, you have to select the first option of “Windows Defender Security Center” and then launch it.
- After that, you have to click on the option of “Virus and threat protection”.
- Then, go to the “Real-time protection” option and toggle it off.
The antivirus software is now successfully disabled. Now, you have to disable your firewall as well. To do that, you can follow the given steps:-
- Open the Start menu. Then, open the “Control Panel”.
- After that, you have to go to the “System & Security” section and then to “Windows Firewall”.
- Now, you have to select the “Turn Windows Firewall on and off” option.
- After that, disable the Firewall by clicking in the small circle beside the option to turn off the Firewall.
Now, you have successfully disabled your firewall as well as your antivirus software. Check if the dns_probe_finished_bad_config error is still showing. However, you must enable both of this software after the error is fixed.
This error is very annoying as it does not let you use the internet. The above-discussed solutions are very effective and simple. You will be able to solve this error by using any one of these aforementioned solutions.