The 0xc00007b error shows up when a user is trying to launch an application and is accompanied by an error message reading as: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc00007b).
Generally, this error occurs when you have upgraded your Windows version. There is a chance that during this upgrade, some files might have got corrupted. If you are facing this problem then do not worry. Here, I will be discussing some easy solutions to fix this problem quickly and completely.
Solutions for solving the 0xc00007b error
Mentioned below are some simple and effective methods to solve this error. So, follow them carefully and apply them one by one to get this error fixed in no time.
Restart your computer
This error can be caused by some trivial issues with your PC. In that case, restarting your PC may solve this error. Restart is the first step of a solution for any problems with your computer. However, if the 0xc000007b error is caused by something major, then this will not work. In that case, you can move on to the next solution.
Make your application run as administrator
When you are facing this error, you can try running the application with which you are facing the error, as an administrator. Follow these steps for doing this successfully:-
- Go to the icon of the application and right-click on it. Then, form the context menu, you have to click on the option of “Properties”.
- After that, on the tab of “Compatibility”, you have to click on the “Run this program as an administrator” option. After that, click on the option of “OK”.
Now, try to launch the application and see if the 0xc00007b error is still occurring or not.
Reinstall the application
Another reason for the application to show this error might be because of the fact that the application itself has got corrupted. So, you can uninstall the application and then reinstall it. You will be able to uninstall the application by going to the Control Panel and then selecting the option of “Uninstall a program”. Here, you will see the list of all the installed programs on your computer. Then, right-click on the application that you want to delete. From the context menu, you have to click on “Uninstall”. After completing the uninstalling process, you have to reinstall the program and run it. Check if the 0xc000007b error is still showing up.
Microsoft .NET framework reinstallation
If there is some problem with the Microsoft .NET framework, it can result in this error. Reinstalling the framework can fix it and in turn, stop the error from showing up. This framework has been an important part of Windows since Windows 8. This means that you cannot remove them from Windows 8 or from the later versions. Hence, this process is only applicable to Windows 7 and the previous versions.
- Open the Run box by pressing the R and Windows keys. Write “control” in the dialog box click on the option of “OK”.
- Now, in the Control Panel, you have to scroll down and locate the option of “Programs and Features”. Open it.
- After that, click one time on all the options starting from “Microsoft .NET”. Then, click on the option of “Uninstall/ Changes. After that, you have to follow the on-screen instructions and you will be able to successfully uninstall them.
- Lastly, visit the website of the “Microsoft .NET Framework” to download the framework and install it on your computer.
Try to run the application and check if the 0xc00007b error is still there.
Visual C++ Redistributable reinstallation
The most necessary component needed to run various applications is the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package. However, the files of this Visual C++ can get corrupted for various reasons. As a result of which, this error might show up. So, it is better to reinstall it and fix the problem.
- Press the R and the Windows key to open the Run box.
- After that, write “Control” and click on the option of “OK”.
- In the window of Control Panel, scroll down and locate the option of “Programs and Features” and then open it.
- Here, you have to locate all the options having the name of “Microsoft Visual C++ 2*** Redistributable” and uninstall them.
- Then, visit the official website of Microsoft support and download the Visual C++ files from there. After the download is complete, install it on your computer.
Now, restart your computer and try to run the application that was showing you the 0xc000007b error and see if it has been fixed.
This error can also be the reason for bugs in the system. However, these bugs can be fixed by performing a Windows update. Additionally, some of the important parts of the computer like the .NET Framework and DirectX will also be updated. This will help in increasing the stability of the computer. Follow these steps and update Windows:-
- Open the settings of your computer by pressing the I and the WIndows button.
- After that, select the option of “Update and Security”. This will be located on the left panel of the Settings window.
- Then, click on the button of “Check for Updates”. Windows will check if there are any updates available and download them automatically.
- After the download is complete, you have to click the button of “Install”. This will install the updates on your system.
After updating your Windows, check if the 0xc00007b error is fixed or not.
Scan the hard drive of your computer by running CHKDSK
Another reason for this error to occur can be problems related to the hardware of your computer. So, by running CHKDSK, you will be able to find the problem and then fix it. Follow these steps to run CHKDSK:-
- Press the Windows icon to bring up the Start Menu.
- Then, in the search bar, you have to write “cmd”.
- Now, form the search result, you have to right-click on the option of “Command Prompt”. From the context menu, you have to select the option of “Run as an administrator”. This will help you to open an elevated Command Prompt.
- Here, you have to write the given command and hit Enter after writing it.
chkdsk /f /r
- After that, you will get the option to schedule the scan when your computer boots up the next time. To confirm this option, you need to type Y and hit Enter.
- Now, restart your system.
- CHKDSK will start running automatically when the computer boots up. This process will take some time to complete. All you have to do is wait patiently.
- After this process is complete, you can try running the application and see if the 0xc000007b error is fixed or not.
It is very frustrating when you are unable to launch an application and face the 0xc00007b error. To solve it, you can try the above solutions. All these methods are effective and easy to implement. You will definitely be able to solve this error by any one of these solutions.