All Mac users use the iMessage app to send messages to other computers and Apple devices using the same protocol of iMessage. This application works fine. However, many users from time to time have reported problems with their iMessage application and they ask “why is iMessage not working on Mac?”.
iMessage application Not working is one of the most common problems faced by users. When this error occurs, the users will be unable to send or receive messages. If you are facing this problem and looking to solve it, then you are in the right place. Here, I will be discussing some of the easy fixes to this iMessage problem.
Solutions to Fix iMessage Not Working on Mac
There are numerous methods to solve this problem of iMessage on Mac not working. So, let us see some of the effective and easy solutions to fix this problem.
Solution 1. Check your Mac’s Internet Connection
Start with a very basic solution. Check if your Mac is receiving a proper internet signal or not. Without an internet connection, iMessage will not work. You can use a functioning personal hotspot, ethernet or a Wi-Fi connection.
Also, make sure that there is no problem with your Mac itself and it is working fine. To check the internet connection, you can browse the internet for any website you want. If you see everything is working and you are still facing the problem of iMessage not working on Mac, then go to the next solution.
Solution 2. Ensure that Apple iCloud and Apple ID is Enabled on your Mac
If you want to use iMessage, you got to have an Apple ID. This is the same ID that Mac uses to log on to iCloud. So, it is mandatory that your Mac has the correct Apple ID configured. To check if it is correctly configured:
- Open the Apple menu and then select the option of “System Preferences”.
- Then, go to the settings of iCloud and check the Apple ID. Make sure that the ID you see here is the correct one.
You need to use this ID to log in to your Mac and your iPhone. This will sync the messages on both of your devices and you will no longer face the problem of iMessage not working on Mac.
Solution 3. Reboot your Mac
Another method to solve this problem is to reboot your Mac. Rebooting can solve many computer glitches. Click the Power button on your Mac. Then, you will see a box on the screen. From this box, click on the button of “Restart”.
You can also open the Apple Menu and click on the logo of Apple. This logo will be located at the top left corner of the screen. Then, from the menu, click on “Restart”. Another way to restart your Mac is to press the “Control” button, and then click the “Power” button. Select the option of “Restart” to confirm the process. Now, try using iMessage and see if the iMessage not working on the Mac problem still persists.
Solution 4. Sign-out and Sign-in on iMessage on Mac
Signing in after signing out of the iMessage can sometimes fix this problem. For that,
- Open the application of Messages.
- Open the “Messages” menu and go to Preferences.
- After that, open the tab of “iMessage”.
- Here, you have to click on the button of “Sign Out”.
- Then, close the application.
- Relaunch the application of Messages. Then, go to the preference of iMessage. Now, click on the button of “Sign In”. Make sure that you use the correct Apple ID.
Now check if the iMessage on Mac not working problem is occurring or not. You can move to the next solution if you are still having this problem.
Solution 5. iMessage Disable and Re-enable iMessage on Mac
Another method to solve the problem is to disable the iMessage and then re-enabling it. This can solve the problems within the iMessage application that are stopping it from working properly. Follow the steps given below.
- Open the application of “Messages”.
- Then, go to the option of “Messages” and select the “Preferences” option.
- After that, click on the tab of “iMessage”.
- Here, ensure that the Apple ID is correctly set. Then, locate the option of “Enable this account” and make sure that the box beside this option is checked.
Solution 6. Check if Message Forwarding is Enabled
If message forwarding is not enabled, you will not be able to send messages. So, to enable the message forwarding features,
- Open the application of Messages.
- After that, take your iPhone and open the Settings option. Then, select the option of “Messages”. From here, click on the option of “Text Message Forwarding”.
- On your iPhone, open the settings for the application Text Message. Find the Mac name for which you want to enable the support of sending and receiving Text Messages. Then, toggle on the switch beside the name of your Mac.
- Now, on your Mac, you will see a pop-up message asking you to enter code if you want to receive and send a message to the number of your iPhone.
- You have to enter the numerical code of six digits showing on the screen of your Mac on your iPhone. Then click on the option of “Allow”.
- Doing this, the Mac will perform verification for your iPhone and then you will be able to send and receive messages by using any one of these devices.
After this process is complete, your iMessage on Mac not working problem will most likely be resolved.
Solution 7. Ensure that iMessage is Working Properly
When you are facing this problem on your Mac, check this application on other devices like your iPad or iPhone. If your iPad or iPhone is having similar problems, then there is a possibility that the servers of the Apple iMessage are down. In this case, you have to wait until the servers come online again.
iMessage not working on Mac is a very frustrating problem. It creates great inconvenience to the users when it stops working. So, to solve this problem, you take the help of the above solutions. These are very effective and simple solutions. You will have no problem with implementing them and the problem will be solved in no time.