Skyrim is a very popular video game among gamers. But often it is reported by many gamers that they are facing the problem with their SKSE64 not working. There are times when it stops working and shows an error. SKSE64 is the abbreviation for “Skyrim Script Extender 64”. It is a modding tool and plays a crucial role in applying complex mods on the Skyrim Special Edition.
You will face this problem even when you are using a newer version of Skyrim SKSE64. Due to this problem, the gamers become unsuccessful in launching the game after installing the SKSE64 executable mods.
Sometimes, the game launches, but it shows only a black screen. So, if you are facing this problem, do not worry. Here, we will be discussing the reasons and the solutions for this error to show up.
Reason for Which SKSE64 Not Working Error Occurs:
So, here are the primary reasons that are responsible for this error to show up:-
- One of the primary reasons for this error to occur is the Firewalls present in Windows. These prevent some of the gaming elements from connecting with the server. Due to this reason, the game is unable to launch properly.
- Another reason for this error to occur is due to the antivirus software installed in your Windows, or due to your Windows Defender. This software can prevent the game or block the skse 64 from running. This is because sometimes it identifies the game as a threat.
- When you update the game of Skyrim, then the old SKSE will not work. In order to work properly, you have to update it as well or you can roll back the game to its previous version.
- However, this error can also occur because the Mods that you have installed are causing the problem. Generally, when you update the game, the Mods will not work. Thus, to work them properly, you have to update the Mods as well.
So, these are the reasons that usually cause this error. Now, let us see the solutions to this problem.
Exceptional Fixes for SKSE64 Not Launching Issue:
These are the most effective and simple fixes that you can apply to solve the skse64 not launching problem:-
Fix 1. Allow the Firewall Access
The firewalls on the computer sometimes block some gaming elements that make it impossible for the game to connect to the server. Hence, the game is unable to launch properly. So, you can follow the given steps to solve the problem effectively:-
- Open the Start Menu and click on the icon of “Settings”.
- Now, within the “Settings” options, you have to select the option of “Update & Security”.
- Here, you have to click on the “Windows Security” option located at the left pane of the window.
- Next, you have to select the “Firewall & Network Protection” option.
- After that, click on the “Allow an application through firewall” option.
- Then, to grant the required permissions, you have to click on the “Change Settings” option.
- Now, through the “Private” and “Public” network, you have to allow the “Skyrim” and all the related applications.
- Ensure that you have allowed the option of “Steam”.
- Lastly, press the button of “OK” and then run Skyrim and see if the SKSE64 loader not working is solved or not. You can go to the next solution if the problem is still there.
Fix 2. Enable Skyrim on Antivirus Software or Windows Defender on your Computer
Windows users antivirus software or Windows Defender to protect their computer from any threats. However, sometimes these software blocks the game and even the SKSE64 from running. This happens because of the fact that the Antivirus or the Windows Defender often identifies the application as a threat. So, to stop this from happening, you have to add an exclusion to the antivirus software and Windows Defender.
- Open the Start menu and click on the “Settings” icon.
- Within this option, you have to select the “Update & Security” option.
- After that, from the left pane of the window, you have to select the option of “Windows Security”.
- Now, click on the “Virus and threat protection”.
- Within this option, you have to select “Manage Settings”.
- Scroll down the window and locate the heading of “Exclusion”. Under this heading, you have to select the “Add or Remove an Exclusion” option.
- Select the “Add an Exclusion” option and then click on the option of “Folder”.
- After that, you have to add the folder of Skyrim installation here.
Now, run the application of Skyrim and see if the SKSE64 2.0.7 not working is fixed or not. If not, then you can try out the next solution.
Fix 3. Make the Version of the Game to RollBack
When the game receives an update, the SKSE64 also gets an update. This will allow the SKSE64 to work properly with the updated version of the game. However, if the SKSE64 has not yet received an update, then you can roll back the game to its previous version.
- First, you have to open your browser and go to the Steam Database site.
- After that, go to the search bar and type “Skyrim” and hit Enter.
- From there, you have to write down the number of “APPID” corresponding to the entry of “The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim”.
- Now, by clicking on this number, you will be able to open a new page. Within this page, you have to select the “Depot” option.
- On this new page, you have to write down the number under the section of “ID” located beside the “Skyrim Special Edition exe” option.
- Then, click on this number and you will open a new page.
- Now, within this page, you have to select the “Manifests” option.
- Next, you have to write the number down which is older than the last released update. Eg, if the update was released 6 days ago, you have to write the number that was listed before 6 days.
After that, go to the desktop and right-click on the shortcut of “Steam launcher” and click on the “Properties” option. In the “Target” box, you have to type “console” after the texts that were written earlier. You have to end by leaving no space. Then, click on the “Apply” option and then “OK”. This will apply to the changes that you have made.
Now, open Steam by using the shortcut and then select the “Console” option. Within this option, you have to write “download-depot (App ID number (Depot ID number) (manifest id number)” and hit Enter.
You will be able to see the folder in which the download of the older version is being done. This will be displayed on the “Console” option. After the completion of the download, you have to go to that folder and then locate the executable download and copy it.
Now, paste it into the folder for the game installation. While pasting, you have to select the “Copy and Replace” option. After this, your game will go back to the previous version.
Now, run the game and see if the error of SKSE64 not working is solved or not.
Fix 4. Disable the Defective Mods
Sometimes, the mods may cause a problem and that will generate this error. This happens when the game has been updated, but the mods have not. When an update for a game is released, the developers of the mods also release the updates. However, sometimes the update may take some time to be released. In that case, you can disable the mods which are causing the problem.
You must always try to search for the update first. If it is not available, then only disable the mods. You can follow the given steps to disable the mods:-
- Run the Ender Scrolls game and then open the menu. From the menu, you have to select the option of Mods.
- After that, find the mods that are causing problems and then, disable them.
Now, restart the game and see if the SKSE64 not working error is fixed or not.
Skse64 not working problem is a very annoying one as it does not allow you to play games unless you solve the problem. So, follow the above-discussed solutions to fix the problem as quickly as possible and continue with your adventure in Skyrim. These fixes are very easy and simple, thus you will have no problem implementing them.