Firefox is one of the most used browsers in the world. It offers many interesting features that are very useful to users. All these features have made it so famous among the users. However, many users have reported that they are facing the error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long. This is showing up when a user is using the Firefox browser to open a website. The showing up of this error code means that the secure data is not being verified by the browser. The primary reason behind this error is incorrectly configured SSL certification. So, if you are facing this error, then do not worry. Here, I will be discussing some of the simple methods to solve this problem.
Solutions for the ssl_error_rx_record_too_long Firefox Error
The methods given below are the most effective and easy to follow solutions to solve this Firefox problem. Hence, follow and apply them one by one to get this glitch fixed.
Solutions 1. Type the URL of the Site by Using the HTTP Protocol
The first method that you should try when you face this problem is to use the HTTP to open the website. This method is very easy. All you have to do is to use “http://” in place of the “https://”. So, you have to open a new tab, and then enter the URL of the website after the “http://” and then perform the search. It will most likely work and you will be able to open the site you are looking for. However, if you are still facing the error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long, then you can move to the next solution.
Solution 2. Set the Settings to “No Proxy”
This is another way of fixing this problem. You have to check the settings of your Firefox browser to see that if you are using any unnecessary proxy connection. Then, you have to customize the settings of No Proxy of the browser. After that, if you connect directly to the source, this problem might be solved. Follow the given steps to complete the process successfully:-
- Open the Firefox browser and click on the option of “Open menu”. After that, you have to click on the “Options” from the menu.
- After that, go to the section of “Network Proxy” and select the option of “Settings”.
- Then, you have to select the option of “No proxy”, if you find that the browser is configured with a non-essential proxy.
- After that, click on the button of “OK”. Then, restart the browser and check if the “ssl_error_rx_record_too_long” error still persists.
Solution 3. Use Safe Mode to open Firefox
There is also a Safe Mode in Firefox that can help you to fix many of its problems. This mode will take Firefox back to its default settings by temporarily disabling the hardware acceleration and add-ons. After this, you will be able to open any site you want. To execute this process, follow the steps given below:-
- Open the browser and select “Open menu”. After that, click on the option of “Help”.
- From this menu, locate the “Restart with Add-ons Disabled” option and click on it.
- After that, confirm this change by hitting the Enter key.
- Then, click on the button of “Start in Safe Mode”.
After the process is complete, check if you are able to open webpages and if the error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long is resolved. You can go to the next solution if the problem still persists.
Solution 4. Disable the add-ons on the Firefox
You have to follow this method if you are unable to open websites in Safe Mode. To disable the add-ons, you don’t have to start your browser in Safe Mode. This problem is caused by a few add-ons. To turn off the add-ons, you have to follow these steps:-
- If your browser is opened in “Safe Mode”, you have to click on the option of “Open Menu”. After that, click on the “Open Help Menu” option. Then locate the “Restart with Add-ons Enabled” option and click on it.
- After that, you have to go to the URL bar of Firefox and type “about:addons” and hit Enter.
- Then, to switch off the add-ons, you have to press the button of “Disable”.
- After this, restart Firefox and see if you are able to open a website.
The ssl_error_rx_record_too_long Firefox error will most likely get solved. However, if the problem is not yet fixed, you can go to the next solution.
Solution 5. Reset Firefox
There are many unwanted situations that can change the settings of the browser. So, it is always better that from time to time you reset Firefox. This will prevent you from getting into any trouble. So, if you are now facing this problem, you can try to reset the browser. You can follow these steps to reset your browser:-
- Open the browser of Firefox and in its address bar, you have to write “about:support” and press Enter.
- Now, the window for Troubleshooting will open.
- You have to click on the option of “Refresh Firefox” located on the right of the window.
- Now, a prompt window will appear on the screen asking for your confirmation. You have to click on the button of “refresh Firefox”.
Try searching for a web page and see if the error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long is resolved.
Solution 6. Examine the Antivirus on your Computer
This error can also show up because of the antivirus present on your computer. Sometimes the antivirus that you are using may cause a disturbance with Firefox and ends up showing this error. In order to solve this problem, you have to stop some of the features that are connected to the SSL.
If this does not solve the problem, then you can consider disabling the antivirus completely. Now, check if the ssl_error_rx_record_too_long Firefox error is solved or not. If this also shows no result, then you might have to remove the antivirus software completely from your computer. If this fixes the problem, then you must use another antivirus software. You must find antivirus software that will not interfere with the browser.
Solution 7. Check the Proxy Settings
Many users have reported that the proxy settings can cause this error. So, it is better to check your proxy settings and see if that fixes your problem.
Proxy Settings for Windows 10
- Open the Start menu and then select the icon of gear to open the “Settings”.
- Within Settings, you have to select the option of “Network & Internet”.
- Now, from the left pane of the window, you have to select the option of “Proxy”. This will be located at the bottom of the list.
Here, you can do all the customizations that are required to solve this problem. Now, check if the error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long is solved.
Using Control Panel
If you are using Windows which is older than Windows 10, then you have to take a slightly different approach. So, follow the given steps to configure the proxy settings for your older version of Windows:-
- Open the Control Panel and then select the “Internet Options”.
- Here, you have to go to the tab of “Connections”. On this tab, you have to press the button of “LAN settings”.
- In the new window, you will see all the proxy settings available on your computer. For the Windows 10 users, these options will be the same if you go through the settings.
Customize the settings here and see if the ssl_error_rx_record_too_long Firefox error is resolved or not.
Solution 8. Use a VPN
Using a VPN can also solve this problem. A VPN is a tool that helps protect your privacy online. Many users have reported that they were able to solve this problem by using a VPN. There are many good VPN tools available on the market. Select the one that suits your needs and see if that fixes your error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long.
Not being able to access any website on a browser can be very frustrating. So, to solve this problem, you can follow the above-discussed methods. These are very effective and very easy to implement. So, solve this problem quickly and open the website you want to visit.