Steam is one of the big platforms from where the users can buy video games and also provide facilities for multiplayer gaming. However, at the time of launching the Steam client, a lot of users face an error that does not let the users could not connect to steam network. This can be a very big problem for gamers as it restricts them from playing games.
If you are one of those who could not connect to steam network, then have a look at the undermentioned section. You can check out the solutions mentioned here and follow them in the same manner as being instructed to get better results.
Excellent Solutions to Overcome the Steam Connection Error:
Here we have discussed the most efficient solutions that you can implement on your Steam application to solve this connection error in Steam. Just go through the solutions step-by-step and apply them as instructed in the following section.
Solution 1: Change the Internet Protocol of Steam
Steam usually uses UDP for data transmission. To solve this error, the UDP can be changed to TCP. This is more reliable than UDP and is much faster. So, here are the steps that you need to follow to change the Internet Protocol.
- Press the R and the Windows key to bring up the Run box. After that, press the “OK” button after typing “taskmgr”. Now, the Task Manager window will pop-up.
- Here, you will be able to see all the functions running on your system. Locate the “Steam Client BootStrapper” option and click on the “End Task” button. Additionally, end the process for other Steam related processes as well.
- After that, within your Steam folder, you have to create a Steam shortcut. To get to this folder, you have to first go to the “C” drive. Then, open the “Program Files (x86)” folder. After that, open the “Steam” folder.
- Next, to make sure that your default Steam.exe file remains unharmed, you have to create a shortcut of it and paste it in the Steam folder.
- Then, right-click on this shortcut and select the “Properties” option.
- Here, you have to type “-tcp” in the “Target” dialog box. In the meantime, make sure that you have to give a space after the default line present in the box. After this, press the “Apply” button and close the window.
Now, using this shortcut, launch the Steam application and the Steam not connecting error will get solved. However, if the error is still there, you can try out the next solution.
Solution 2: Change the ClientRegistry.blob
So, let’s change the ClientRegistry.blob and see if this can fix this error or not. The following steps will show you the procedure to change it:-
- Just like in the previous solution, you have to end the task for all the Steam processes.
- Now, go to the directory of Steam. For this, you have to go to the C “drive” and open the “Program Files”. After that, you have to go to the “Steam” folder.
- Here, you have to find the “ClientRegistry.blob” option.
- Now, you have to rename this file to “ClientRegistryold.blob”.
- Next, launch Steam and this will help in recreating the file.
Check if the error of “can’t connect to Steam” of the Steam Client has been solved or not. If the error is still showing, then you can move on to the next solution.
Solution 3: Reinstallation of the Steam Client
Another reason for which this error might show up may be due to faulty Steam files. In this case, it is better to uninstall the Steam completely and then reinstall it. Follow the given steps to perform the reinstallation process successfully:-
- Before you start with the uninstallation process, you must create a backup of all the games that you have bought on Steam. Failing to do so will result in you losing those games. You have to find the folder with the name of “Steamapps”. Move this folder to a secure location.
- Now, open the Run box by pressing the R and the Windows button. After that, type “control” in the box and hit Enter.
- Here, you have to select the “Programs and Features” option.
- Now, you have to locate the “Steam” option and right-click on it. Then, from the context menu, you have to select the “Uninstall” option.
- On the next window, go to the bottom and click on the “Uninstall” button.
- Now, go to the Steam website and download the latest Client installer. Then, install the client on your computer.
- Next, move the backed up folder of Steamapps to the directory of “Steam” and launch Steam.
Check if the “Steam no connection” error has been solved or not. It will most likely get solved, but if it does not get fixed, you can try out the next fix.
Solution 4: Troubleshoot the Weak Internet Connection
This error can also occur if there is some problem with your internet connection. You can check this by opening your browser and seeing if the browser is able to connect to the internet without any problem.
Here are the steps that will help you to check your internet connection thoroughly:-
- Open the Start context menu by pressing the X and Windows button. From there, you have to select the “Device Manager” option.
- Now, in the “Device Manager” window, you have to select the “Network Adapter” option. Open this option and locate the name of your WiFi/LAN Adapter. If you see that the network is disabled, you have to right-click on it and select the “Enable” option.
- You can right-click on the adapter and click on the “Properties” tab to see if the Network Adapter is working properly. If it is working properly, then you will see the “This device is working properly” message displayed on a window.
However, if the Steam not connecting error is still there, then you can continue with this process to troubleshoot the problem. For this, you have to reset all the settings that you have made to the WiFi or the Network Settings.
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing the R and the Windows key. Now, type “cmd” in the Run box. This will open the Command Prompt.
- In the Command Prompt, you have to type the given command and after writing each line, you have to press Enter:
netsh int ip set dns
netsh winsock reset
- When you have executed these commands successfully, restart your computer.
Now, open Steam and check if the error of “could not connect to Steam network” is still showing up or not.
Steam provides a great platform for meeting new players and playing various multiplayer games. However, when this error occurs, it creates an obstacle for gamers and affects their gaming experience. So, to solve could not connect to steam network error as quickly as possible, you can try the above-discussed solutions. These are very effective and easy to implement.