The USB port of a computer is very important. It is used to connect your printer, USB drive, phones and to sync MP3 players. When these devices are connected, you expect them to connect immediately. This will help you to transfer files from your USB drive and phone to your computer. However, some of the computer users have reported that they are facing the problem of USB ports not working. This problem is seen in many computer systems like Mac, and Windows. This problem causes great inconvenience to computer users. So, if you are facing this error and looking to solve this problem, then you are in the right place. Here, I will be discussing some of the common fixes for this problem.
Solution for USB ports not working Windows 7
Even though Windows 7 is outdated, many users are still using Windows 7. They are also facing this USB problem. So, let us see the methods to solve this problem on Windows 7.
1. Troubleshooting the USB problem
- Make sure that your USB device is receiving a good connection of power. If your USB device is powered by battery, ensure that the batteries are correctly placed. And, if your USB device requires external power to operate, ensure it is connected properly to the power source.
- Another reason for this problem to occur is due to a loose connection of the USB device. So, you must reconnect the USB devices to fix this USB ports not working Windows 7 problem.
To complete this troubleshooting procedure, you have to disconnect all the USB devices. However, you don’t have to disconnect the USB keyboard and mouse. After this, you have to take the USB device that was not connecting to the computer and connect it to the USB port of your computer. This is applicable for both laptop and desktop.
If the device gets connected, then your USB ports not working Windows 7 problem is solved. However, if it still does not connect, then do not remove it. Keep it connected, and follow these steps:
- There are some USB devices that need the manufacturer’s software to work. So, you have to install this software.
- If your USB device had any software, you have to install it by following the on-screen instructions.
- When the process of installing the software is complete, you have to connect the USB device again.
If the device gets connected to your computer successfully, then your USB ports not working Windows 7 problem is solved.
2. When Windows 7 does not detect your USB device
When your device is not being detected by Windows 7, you have to disconnect the device and then follow these steps:
- First, you have to restart your computer.
- After that, you have to wait for 5 seconds after connecting the USB device. There is a chance that the device will get recognized by your computer. However, if that does not happen, disconnect the device and follow the next step.
- Press the button of “Start”. Then, type “Device Manager” in the search bar.
- From the search results, locate the option of “Universal Serial Bus Controller” and double-click on it.
- On this window, locate the option of “USB Root Hub” and double-click on it. Then, go to the tab of Power and click on the option of “Power Properties”. On this window, you will be able to see all the devices attached to the hub. It will also show the power required by them. You will also be able to see that the total power available is 500 mA. If you see that the sum of all the power requirements of the devices exceeds 500, you have to disconnect some of the devices. This will help the power to remain within the total power range.
- Now, connect the USB device and wait for 5 seconds. The device will now get connected and your USB ports not working Windows 7 problem will be solved
Solution for USB ports not working Windows 10
Windows 10 is the latest version of Windows. Being the latest version, many people use this for their official works and also in their personal computers. So, when the USB port stops working, the users face many problems. So, to avoid these problems, follow the solutions discussed below:-
1. Stop the feature of fast startup
According to some users, due to the fast startup of their computer, their system is not getting enough time to recognize the USB device. To solve this problem, you can follow these steps:
- Go to the Start menu and open the “Control Panel”. Within this option, click on “Power Options”.
- Then, from the left pane of the window, you have to select the option of “Choose what the power button does”.
- Now, select the option of “Change settings that are currently unavailable”.
- Next, locate the option of “Turn on fast startup” under the option of “Shutdown settings”. You have to uncheck the box located beside it. After that, click on the button of “Save Changes”.
Check if the USB ports not working Windows 10 problem still persists.
2. Reinstalling the USB controller
This USB problem can also be solved by reinstalling the USB controller. Follow the steps given below to complete the process successfully.
- Open the Start menu and in the search bar you have to type “Device Manager”. From the search result, you have to click on the option of “Device Manager”.
- Locate the option of “ Universal Serial Bus Controller” and expand it.
- Find the name of the drivers and select the first driver. Right-click on it and from the context menu you have to click on the option of “Uninstall”.
- You have to do this for all the drivers present here.
- After the process is complete, reboot your computer.
Now, your USB ports not working Windows 10 problem will be solved and you will be able to connect all your USB devices without any problem.
Solutions for the USB ports not working Mac
Mac is one of the most popular OS out there. So, if you are facing the USB problem on your Mac, then follow the steps given below:-
1. SMC reset
One of the simplest fixes for this problem and for any other Mac problem is the resetting of the SMC. So, if you are using a MacBook, then you can follow the given steps:-
- Turn off your MacBook.
- Then, connect it to the power adapter.
- After that, you have to press the button of Option, Control, and Shift simultaneously.
- Now your MacBook will boot up as it normally does and the process of resetting the SMC will be completed.
However, if you are using a MacPro, Mac mini, or iMac, you have to follow the steps given below:-
- Switch off your Mac.
- Detach the power adapter from your Mac.
- After that, hold down the Power button for 5 seconds and release it.
- Then, connect the power adapter and turn on your Mac. This will reset the SMC for your Mac device.
After the SMC is reset, check if the Mac USB ports not working problem is solved or not.
2. Reset NVRAM and PRAM
The Non-Volatile RAM (NVRAM) and Parameter RAM (PRAM) contains the information for all the USB components. By resetting these components, this problem can get solved. Follow these steps to reset these components:-
- Switch off your Mac.
- After that, you have to restart by pressing the button of P, R, Alt, and Command simultaneously.
- You have to keep these key pressing until the screen flashes and you hear the sound of the chime. Release the buttons and let it boot up normally.
When the Mac boots up, check if the USB ports not working Mac is fixed or not.
USB ports are one of the important parts of a computer. It allows us to connect to many other devices. So, if you are facing the problem of USB port not working, you have to solve it as soon as possible so that it does not affect your daily work routine. In order to do that, you can follow the above methods. These are very effective and simple methods and you will have no problem in implementing them. Use these solutions and solve your USB ports not working problem now.