Malware attacks on Mac though are uncommon, are not totally unheard of. A malware attack damages the computer and can also steal the data of the user and hence putting the security of the user at risk. If you are a Mac user and you are facing any malware trouble and they are searching for how to get rid of malware on Mac, like system slowdown or frequent crashes on your Mac, then you are in the right place. Here, I will be telling you some of the effective methods of removing malware from your Mac.
Procedure to remove malware from Mac
So, let us see some of the easiest and most effective methods for getting rid of malware on Mac:-
Solution 1. Remove malware by doing a software update
This is one of the easiest methods to remove malware from your Mac.
- If you are unable to start your computer by the normal method due to the malware infection, you can start it in the Safe mode. This will stop the running of the malware. You will be able to enter the safe mode in Mac, only while logging in. To activate the safe mode, you have to keep holding the Shift key when the Mac is booting. You have to hold down the key until the login screen is visible. If you see that your computer has become slower than usual, the animations are tearing, and the graphics are a bit fuzzy, then it means that you have successfully entered the safe mode.
- Now, form the Apple menu, you have to select the option of “About this Mac”. This will bring up a new dialog box on the screen.
- After that, you have to click on the option of “Software Update”. On the new window, you have to click on the option of “Update Now”.
- The installation of the update will take some time to complete. While the system is updating, you will be able to use your computer normally. However, speed will become slower.
- When the installation is complete, you will be prompted to restart your computer by clicking on the “Restart now” button. This will complete the process of installing the updates. These updates will fix the vulnerabilities so that that the malware cannot take advantage of it and harm your computer anymore.
- Your Mac will mark some items as malicious and you will be prompted to move it to trash. Move all these items to the trash and click on the option of “Empty trash”. By doing this, you will be able to delete all the malicious elements from your computer permanently.
Solution 2. Using Malwarebytes to remove malware
Another method to get rid of malware on Mac is by using antimalware software. And, there is no better option than Malwarebytes. So, let us see the procedure to use Malwarebytes to remove malware from your Mac:-
- First, you have to go to the official website of Malwarebytes. On this site, you have to click on the button of “Free Download”. This is a green button located beside the “Buy Now” button. After this, the downloading process for the Malwarebytes installer will begin.
- This file will be downloaded in the download folder by default. Locate the installer file and double-click on it. You will be able to see the name of the folder as “Malwarebytes-Mac-3.11.5.05.pkg”.
- Now, on the new window of Malware installation, you have to click on the button of “Continue”.
- On the next window, again click on the button of “Continue”.
- After that, you have to read the terms and conditions and then click on the button of “Continue”.
- Then, press the button of “Agree”. This means that you have gone through the terms and conditions and you agree with the terms completely.
- Now, on the next window, you have to select a driver and then click on the button of “Continue”.
- In the next window, you will be able to decide the location for installing the software. For this, you can click on the option of “Change Install Location”. However, if you do not want to change the location, you can just click the “Install” button. Now, in a pop-up window, you have to enter your password. Then, click on the button of “Install Software”. The installation process will take a few moments to complete.
- After that, in the section of “Security & Privacy”, you have to allow the app from Malwarebytes Corp form the section of “System Preferences”. Click on the icon of a lock to enter the window of System Preferences. Then, you have to enter the login password for your Mac and press the button of “Continue”.
- Now, finish the process by clicking on the button of “Close”.
- Next, open the option of “Finder”. For that, click on the icon resembling a smiley blue and white face.
- On this window, you have to click on the option of “Application”.
- Here, you have to locate the application of Malwarebytes and launch it by double-clicking on it.
- When the app will open, you have to press the button of “Scan Now”. It will start the process of scanning for malware and viruses. The completion of the process will take some time.
- Then, you have to click the button of “Quarantine”.
- Within this option, you have to click on the button of “Clear Quarantine”. This process will remove all the malware that was discovered on your Mac.
This is also a very effective process to get rid of malware on Mac, and you can also monitor your computer for any malware in the future.
I hope that you understood the above procedures and will be able to get rid of all the malware from your Mac. These are easy and the most effective fixes and you should have no problems following them.