The bootable disk is needed when you do a fresh installation of Windows in your system. However, a bootable disk is not needed when you upgrade from an older to a newer version. Basically, the bootable disk contains special files to boot or start up the system.
Although this article will help you with the easy methods on how to make a bootable USB Windows 10. You might be thinking about why you need to create a Windows 10 bootable USB device? As you know the availability of the CD and DVD has declined, most of the PC comes with no Disk Drive. However, the main reasons are ease of use, portable, larger capacity and fast copying of files.
Excellent Methods to make Windows 10 Bootable USB:
You just need a flash drive with more than 4GB of storage, though 6 to 12 GB is preferred. After that, you should apply the methods cited below.
Method 1: Through Windows Media Creation Tool
The most reliable and easiest method to create bootable USB Windows 10 is to use the Windows Media Creation Tool. This tool downloads and copy the files into the USB flash drive to make it a bootable USB disk automatically. Follow the steps listed below:
- Plug the USB flash drive and remember to format it once before you start the process.
- Open the browser and then go to the link below. Download the Windows Media Creation tool.
- To launch it, double-click on the MediaCreationToolxxx.exe.
- Further, click on the “Accept” option to agree to the terms and conditions of the Microsoft.
- Click on the “Create installation media for another PC” and then on “Next”
- Also, remember to clear the “Use the Recommended Options for this PC”
- Next, you have to select the Language/Edition and Architecture as per your requirements.
Also if you want to know more about it, then go to the link below.
- Click on “Next”.
- Select the USB flash drive that you want to make a USB bootable device and click on “Next”
- Lastly, click the “Finish” option.
Once the process is complete, you will have a bootable USB device.
Method 2: Through Windows USB/DVD Download Tool
One of the oldest and reliable methods to Windows 10 installation media USB is by using the Windows USB Download Tool. However, you need to download the Windows 10 ISO file from the official website. To complete it, go through the following process.
- For this process, you will need an empty USB flash drive with a minimum storage of 8GB.
- Now you have to download the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool and then install it in your system.
- Once the installation process is finished, launch it.
- As mentioned above this process needs the ISO file to be downloaded in the system. You can download the ISO file using the Media Creation Tool from the above-mentioned Method 1.
- After the process is completed, your bootable USB/DVD installer is ready to use.
Method 3: Create a Bootable USB Drive Using Command Prompt
If you are an advanced user, then this method is for you. If you have the ISO file, then you can use this process to make Windows 10 bootable USB. Just go through the following steps to create a bootable USB drive:
- After you have plugged the USB drive, click on the Windows logo and in the search, type “Command Prompt” and click on Run as Administrator.
- Type “diskpart” in the CMD and then hit Enter.
- Open the Disk Management Utility using the Command Prompt.
- To display the list of connected devices, type “list disk”.
- You now have to find the select your USB drive and to do so you have type “select disk #” replace the # with the disk number of your USB flash drive.
- After that, the USB driver needs to be cleaned. For that, you have to type “clean” and then hit Enter.
- Just type “Create partition primary” to create a bootable partition. Then hit Enter.
- Now to select the partition you have created, type “select partition 1”
- Before you go to the next step, you have to format the USB flash drive. For that, type “format fs=fat32” and then press Enter.
- Assign a letter to your USB drive by typing “assign”.
- Lastly, copy all the files of Windows 10 and just paste them in the USB drive. Now the files can be taken from a Windows 10 disk or through extraction from an ISO file.
Method 4: Create a Bootable USB Drive Using Third-Party Software
If you find the above-mentioned steps to be complicated, then you can just use third-party software. In this article, we have discussed about Rufus. Rufus is basically a third-party software that will help you create a bootable USB drive.
Go through the following instructions:
- From your browser, go to the official page of the Rufus and download the Rufus.
- Double-click on the Rufus.exe
- Once it launches, plug your USB flash drive.
- Find the “Create a Bootable USB Drive”.
- From the menu, select the ISO image file.
- Click on the button “Next” and then click on the Windows 10 ISO file that you want to install.
- Click on “Start” and then Rufus will begin to create a bootable USB flash drive for you.
Once the process is complete, now you have developed a USB flash drive. Now plug it in and you are ready to use it for the installation of Windows 10.
And that is all with the methods for the Windows 10 USB boot device. You can follow any of the instructions above to manually create a USB bootable device to install or reinstall Windows 10. However, keep in mind that you have to use a clean USB flash drive. Also, before you start to implement any of the above-mentioned methods, format the flash drive once.