It is always better to use the latest version of Windows and that version is Windows 10. When it was launched, Microsoft allowed a free Windows 10 upgrade for all the Windows 8 and Windows 7 users. This offer was ended in December 2017. With this, the opportunity for free windows 10 upgrade was gone too.
Now you may be having the question “can I still upgrade to Windows 10 for free?” Yes, there is still a way to free upgrade to Windows 10 for your computer. This will only work on computers that are using original Windows 8.1 or Windows 7. With the help of the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, this free upgrade is possible.
Steps before Starting the Upgrade to Windows 10
There are some procedures you must follow before you jump into the process of the free upgrade to Windows 10.
Ensure that the Version of your Windows is Activated
The primary thing to check before you start the free upgrade is to see if your version of Windows is activated. To verify your version of Windows 8, you have to press the W and the Windows key simultaneously. This will open the search bar of the Settings option. After that, you have to write “activated”. Then, you have to open the window of PC info to check our activation status.
If you are using Windows 7, then you have to press the Start button and then do a right-click on the option of the “Computer”. After that, you have to click on the command of “Properties”. The window which will appear will tell you the activation status of your computer.
Do a Back-up of your Computer
Backing up your computer is a good thing. This will save you from losing data in case of any sudden mishap. Although the process of upgrading to Windows 10 will not require to delete your data, however, to be on the safer side, you can make a full back-up of your computer.
Disable Antivirus Tools
If you are using any third party Antivirus tools, then it is better to turn them off. Any third-party antivirus tools present on your computer will interfere with the process of updating to Windows 10. After the process is completed, then you can turn them on.
After completing the above processes, you are now ready to upgrade to Windows 10 free.
Steps for Windows 10 Free Upgrade
So, let us see the steps to Microsoft upgrade Windows 10 for free:-
- First of all, you have to go to the download page of Windows 10.
- After that, you have to click on the option of ‘Download Tool now’. This will start the download of the tool.
- When the download is completed, you have to open the Media Creation Tool. After that, you have to accept all the terms of the license.
- Now, you have to click on the option of ‘Upgrade this PC now’ and then press the option of ‘Next’ and move forward.
- Then, you will be asked whether you want to start everything from scratch or keep everything. You can choose as you like, but it is better to select the option to keep all the apps. This will allow your apps to stay and you can use them on your new Windows 10. After selecting the option, you have to select the option of ‘Install’.
- The installation process will start and this process will take some time. You may see that your computer is restarting a number of times.
- When installing Windows 10 is completed, you have to connect your computer to an internet connection. After that, you have to open the ‘Settings’ on your computer. Then, you have to enter the ‘Windows Update. Here, you have to click on the option of ‘Activation’. This will let your computer get activated and you will receive a digital license. Another way of activating your Windows 10 is by entering the product key for Windows 8 or Windows 7.
This new license you got after the upgrade will be valid as long as you are using this particular computer. Changing the computer will make this license void.
I hope that the above-discussed process will help you to successfully do a free upgrade to Windows 10. After you have done the Windows 10 free upgrade, you must check if your apps and hardware are functioning properly. You must upgrade Windows 10 because it is the latest version of the operating system and you will be able to get many new features with it. These features will help you to enhance your Windows experience even further and make your tasks easier.