You should know about TAP-Windows Adapter V9 if you use a Windows VPN just to safeguard your personal data. TAP-Windows Adapter V9 is a virtual network interface or network driver that offers VPN clients the ability to facilitate a VPN connection.
Unfortunately, some users have faced a lot of issues with the connection problem while using it. However, if you are facing any issues with your TAP-Windows Adapter V9, then this article provides you detailed information on what it is and how to remove it.
What is Tap Windows Adapter V9?
Tap Windows Adapter V9 is a virtual network interface that typically appears in the Device Manager after you have installed any VPN client. This adapter provides the functionality required by various VPN clients and it is used by most the user for VPN suites as an alias for connecting to the internet privately.
However, the Tap driver version depends on the version of Windows running on your PC.
- On Windows XP – NDIS 5 Driver (TAP-Windows, version 9.9x)
- On Windows Vista/7/8/10 – NDIS 6 Driver (TAP-Windows, version 9.21.x)
When to Remove Tap Windows Adapter?
Suppose you are using VPN services of different clients and your connection is active but you are facing connectivity issues, then you need to investigate for any corrupted drivers. Perhaps, if you have previously used a VPN connection but now you have stopped using it, this could also lead you to this problem.
Meanwhile, when you are using the internet, the leftovers of the Tap Windows Adapter is causing a problem with internet connectivity. In such cases, to fix the problem, you need to remove the VPN software. Although, the Tap Windows might get reinstalled if you still keep on using the VPN software.
With all these, let’s just move to the instructions on how to remove Tap Windows 9.21.2.
How to Reinstall Tap Windows Adapter?
If you are unable to establish the connection and having connectivity issues, then this could be due to Tap Windows having corrupted files or is not running properly in the back. So, to avoid this, you can reinstall the Tap Windows Adapter V9. For that, follow the below instructions for the reinstallation process of the Tap Windows Adapter V9.
- First, all you need to do is to disconnect the VPN connection and then close the respective VPN Client.
- Press and hold on Windows + R key to open the Run box.
- In the Run box, type the devmgmt.msc command and then press Ok or hit Enter. It will open the Device Manager.
- Now in the Device Manager, find the Network Adapter by scrolling down and click on the forward-pointing arrow to expand the list.
- Check if you can find the Tap Windows Adapter V9. Once you find it, now right-click and click on the Uninstall option.
- After that, once it has been uninstalled from the Device Manager. Now launch the VPN client. Depending upon what the VPN client you are using, it will ask you to install the missing Windows Adapter. And then you will be able to reinstall the Adapter automatically.
(However, if the VPN software shows “missing driver”, then you can reinstall the VPN client as well.)
- Now go back to the Device Manager and check if the error is fixed or not. If not, then you need to ask for support from the VPN’s assistance or you can switch the VPN client.
How to Remove Tap Windows Adapter?
Although you may think that removing the Tap Windows adapter is easy, perhaps not. The Tap Windows Adapter V9 keeps on coming back to the Device Manager every time you boot up or restart your device. However, it depends on what VPN client you are using.
You might be thinking why does this keep happening? As some VPN client automatically install the missing driver, so you might need to remove the Adapter properly. So to do that you can simply follow the instructions below.
- Firstly, go to the Program Files.
- Now you have to find the Tap Windows.
- Then double click on the exe and you have to follow the on-screen instructions to remove it.
However, if you see the Tap Windows Adapter keeps on coming automatically in the Device Manager. So you need to get rid of the software and for that, it requires a few instructions that are as follows:
- Once again, open the Run Box by pressing and holding on Windows + R key
- Now, you have to type appwiz.cpl command and then click OK. This will now let you access to Programs and Features.
- After that, find the VPN client you are using and uninstall it from there.
(Though if you have multiple VPN clients, then also you need to make sure that they will not automatically reinstall the Tap Windows Adapter V9 and uninstall all the VPN clients)
Here is all the information and instructions on how you can remove and reinstall the Tap Windows Adapter V9. Although you need to ensure that your VPN client does not install the adapter automatically.