Having an extra monitor at your disposal is an outstanding way of boosting productivity work as well as a gaming experience. It will open up a whole new window of opportunities and options for both physically and metaphorically. Therefore, you do not have to squeeze all your applications onto one window or prioritize certain applications over others. However, if you own a laptop or an old laptop and want to extend your desk with another display, then you can go through the instructions provided below. Here in this guide, we have provided all the steps that you can implement to use laptop as monitor.
Can You Use a Laptop as a Monitor?
Fortunately, yes if you have an old laptop that you are not using, which is not able to push to the optimum performance, then you can use it as a secondary monitor. Basically, this secondary monitor is put in use to improve the workflow of the professionals. Also, you can use a new laptop as your secondary display.
Although if you think that connecting the desktop with your another is easy just by using HDMI cable, well that is not the case. To do so you need to have the Windows built-in option or you can also use third-party software for such a process. So if you have any questions like “Can I use my laptop as a monitor? then the answer to this question is given. Apart from that, we have provided the instructions below regarding how to use a laptop as a monitor.
Step by Step Instructions to Use Laptop as Monitor
So, as mentioned above, in order to utilize the laptop’s display with the desktop, to work as a monitor for another Windows system, there are few things you must follow. First, you have to either use the built-in features on Windows or you can also use any third-party software to ensure that the two devices are working correctly. Below, we’ll show you the different methods you can implement for setting up your laptop as a secondary display for your PC or how you can use it as its primary display for a better workflow.
1. How to Use Laptop as Monitor using Miracast
Out of all, it is better to go with the built-in option of the Windows system, Miracast. This allows you to use multiple monitors with the system. But to use it, you need to set it up, so follow the instructions below.
Instructions for the Laptop that You want to use:
- Open the Settings menu from the Start menu of the system.
- When the Settings menu opens, locate and click on the System icon.
- On the next window, you have to click on the “Projecting to this PC” option which is on the left of the window.
- After that, you have to change the first down menu into “Automatic“, also you will have other different options.
- Now when the next window pops up you have to tweak the settings according to your desired options.
- Lastly, once the whole process is complete, simply navigate to the main system.
Instructions for the Main Computer that You want to Use with the Laptop:
- First, go to the Notification/Action icon from the Taskbar, which you can find at the bottom right corner of the Taskbar.
- Then you will see an option “Connect,” click on it.
- Once you click on the “Connect” button, now Windows will search for all the available devices to project onto. When the device is found by Windows click on it to continue.
- Once the above process is done, go back to the Other device, that you want to use as a secondary monitor and simply accept the connection.
- Now, come back to the main PC, then right-click on the desktop anywhere followed by clicking on the “Display Settings” options.
- Navigate to the Display menu and then extend the “Multiple Display” option. And check if it is set to “Extend Desktop to this Display”.
- Thereafter, your setup is complete. Simply drag and drop the desktop icons into the other monitor.
Troubleshooting for Connectivity Issues with Miracast:
Many users have reported that there were some issues with the Miracast as it was asking for Intel HD graphics for further connection. In such cases, you can check for updates or you can also use wireless connectivity to use laptop as monitor.
2. To Use Laptop as Monitor using a Third-Party application
You’ll get a number of third-party applications that can help you to connect the Laptop as a Monitor. So simply download any third-party application in the system and go through the on-screen instructions. However, you have to install the application in both the systems, in the main PC as well as the Laptop. Then set up the input directory to your display and thus ensure you can control the laptop via the main PC.
How to Use a Laptop as a Monitor Remotely?
You may not know but you can access the laptop monitor using the main PC using a Remote connection. One of the best options is to use Team Viewer. Team Viewer is a third-party application that allows you to connect and use another PC as a secondary monitor. Apart from that, you can use Team Viewer to access any PC from any place at any time.
- Open your browser, then hit the official website of Team Viewer. From there, download the version based on your PC specification.
- Once the download is complete, install Team Viewer in both the systems.
- Launch the application on both the PCs.
- Now note the ID of the desktop computer and then type it in the Laptop’s Team Viewer and click on the Connect button.
- Then the Team Viewer on the laptop will ask for the password of the desktop, provide it and click on the Log On button.
- After that, you will be able to use both the monitors as the above process will establish a connection to use Laptop as Monitor.
3. How to Stream Games to Your Laptop from Your Desktop?
You do not have to buy high-end laptops to play modern-day games. You can now Stream Games from Desktop to the Laptop. Don’t know how? Well, let us explain, Steam is a streaming function that will allow you to stream games from the desktop to the laptop. Besides, it is one of the best ways to use your laptop for playing games. Basically, you will be streaming all your favorite games from the desktop to your laptop. The only difference is that you are going to play the game using the Mouse and keyboard of your Laptop.
However, sometimes you might face some issues with Steam. According to experts, Steam is the best option for a single-player gamer, but for multiplayer, it is not that good an option.
- Download Steam on both the PCs.
- Launch the Steam application, now choose the game that you want to play on the Steam Games Library.
- Now you will see a dropdown menu next to the Play option. From there select the Streaming option.
- After that, the game you wish to play will load up where the desktop’s computational power is used by your laptop.
Above mentioned are the most useful methods that you can implement use laptop as monitor”. Utilizing your laptop as a secondary monitor is a great option that can improve the performance of your work.