Discord is a free VoIP application that is being used by everyone for chatting purposes while playing video games. Basically, Discord is designed for people who use video gaming communities to interact. And it is specialized in various things such as text, image, video, and audio communication among the different users all around the world.
But sometimes, Windows is unable to open the Discord application. Even if you double click on the file, nothing happens. Although there can be a lot of reasons for this discord won’t open problem to occur, we are still unknown to the causes which lead to this. For those users who are facing this issue, check out the solutions mentioned here.
Here are the Steps to Fix Discord Won’t Open Issue:
If you open the Task Manager and see the discord.exe, then it means that the discord is running in the background. However, if you see the discord screen is displaying blank, then it may be due to this that the discord is trying to log in but cannot access it. But there are various solutions to different problems.
So these are the steps that you can follow to solve the discord won’t open problem.
Step 1: Repairing the Corrupted System Files
You can simply download and then run the Reimage Plus to scan for corrupt files. You can down the software from their official website. After that, scan the files and if any files are found to be corrupted or missing, then you can repair them. At last, you need to check if this fixes the issue or not. If not, then you can go through the solutions listed below.
Step 2: Task Killing from the Task Manager
There might be a case that any discord file is running in the back and not letting the main application to run. So you have to kill the task properly. Thus, for that, you can follow the below steps.
- Press and hold CTRL, SHIFT, and ESC together. This will open the Task Manager or you can right-click on the Window bar and click on Task Manager.
- Now, go to the Process tab.
- Then scroll the list and find the discord.exe and then click on the End Task.
- However, there should be only one application but if you find too many applications, then repeat the process.
Once you are done, you can close the Task Manager and check if the application runs properly or not.
Step 3: Alternative Method of Task Killing
This is an alternative method of Step 2. If step 2 is not working, then you can go for this step. Further, check the steps listed below.
- Press Windows + R
- Then type cmd and then hit the Enter button.
- Now, type taskkill/F /IM discord.exe and hit Enter.
However, this will kill the discord.exe. After that, you can relaunch the app.
Step 4: Log in Through the Web Version
You can try to alternately login from the web version. Sometimes, the problem is due to the cookies of the application. And many users of discord has solved it by logging in from the web version of the application.
When you run the discord application and see the blank screen or grey screen or if the application does not run, then you can open your browser and log in from the web version.
Hopefully, this will reset the account details of the Discord. Now, open it from the application again and check if the problem is still there or not.
Step 5: Delete the App Data
If none of the steps worked out to fix the problem, then you can try out this method. It’s time now to uninstall and install the application. However, a simple install and uninstall will not solve the problem. So you need to clear or delete all the app data files. And to do that you can check out the following steps.
- Press Windows + R
- Then type appwiz.cpl and hit Enter
- Now, navigate to the Discord app from the list and click on it.
- And then click on confirm any additional prompts.
- After that, uninstall the Discord app.
- Then hold Windows key + R to open the Run box.
- There type “%appdata%” and press Enter. If it doesn’t work or you can’t see any folders, then choose another process.
- Hold Windows key + E > Select View from the top > Check the option Hidden items > After that, try to perform the first and second steps.
- Further, locate the Discord folder, right-click and click the Delete option.
- Lastly, you can now reboot your computer.
Check if the problem fixes or not.
Step 6: Disable the Proxies
You have to keep this in mind that Discord does not run well with Proxies and VPNs. Therefore, you need to check if your discord is not running on any VPNs or Proxies as because of this it might malfunction. Besides for VPNs and Proxies, Discord might not start properly. So you need to disable all the VPNs and Proxies.
Step 7: Adjust the Date/Time in your Windows System
Adjusting your date/time might sound weird to think but this too has a relationship with Discord application. For some user changing to automatic adjustment of Date/Time has solved the problem. Thus, to adjust the date and time in your Windows system, follow the steps listed below.
- Press Windows + I to open the Settings.
- Now, click on the Time and Language option.
- Then click on Set Automatically option and turn the toggle on
- After that, launch the Discord application again.
Step 8: Reset the DNS
However, with time, the DNS gets corrupted and prevent some application to access the internet. So you need to check if the DNS setting is interfering with your Discord Application or not. And if it does, then the Discord will not start properly. Thus, with the help of the following steps, the DNS Settings resetting is shown.
- Firstly, press Windows + R key simultaneously to open the Run box.
- Then in that section, type cmd and then hit the Enter button.
- Now you need to type in the box that displays “ipconfig/flushdns.” Next, you need to hit the Enter key.
- After that, you have to wait for the process to get completed. Once it completes, launch the discord app and check if the issue persists.
Step 9: Disable the Link Blockers
Furthermore, Discord sometimes fails to open due to the active link blockers on your computer. When you open the web version of the Discord to join the server, it redirects you to a link. If you have link blockers activated, then it will block the link and you will be unable to run the Discord application.
To solve it, if you are using Google Chrome, then just open the link chrome://extensions and disable all the Link/Adblockers. Also, you can check your antivirus if it is blocking any links and thus Discord does not open.
That’s all related to the Discord won’t open problem. You can go through the above-mentioned processes to resolve it.