For creating a community and communicating with your friends, Discord is a very helpful app. However, managing the server of your own Discord is not very easy. It can be very tedious to manage the old messages on an active running Discord server. This difficulty is faced especially while deleting messages which are unacceptable and inflammatory.
Many users have the question of “how to clear Discord chat?” You don’t have to worry anymore. Here we will be discussing the process of deleting the messages and managing the message backlog.
Know the Kinds of Messages in Discord:
In Discord, you will come across two types of messages. One is Channel Messages and another type is Direct Messages. Channel messages are shared on a particular channel among the whole group. Whereas, in Direct messages, the conversation takes place between two users.
Every type of message had there own set of rules and worked in different ways. The administrator could delete messages in bulk when Discord was first introduced. It could be done from within the UI of the Discord app. This led to a huge problem as many administrators at the same time would delete the message in masses.
Due to this problem, this feature was removed. With the removal of this feature, the deleting of messages might not be as easy as before, but it can still be done. If you want to know how to delete all messages on Discord, then go through the next section carefully.
Procedure for “Discord Clear Chat” for Direct Messages:
However, you technically cannot delete the Direct Messages. But, you will not be able to see the message if you close the chat panel. You will also be able to delete your copy of the message. By doing this, the messages will not be visible in your history.
However, these messages will be visible to other users and it will also remain intact within the server of the Discord. You can follow the given steps to delete the messages from your history:-
- First of all, you have to select the user with whom you are sharing Direct messages. Then you have to right-click on the user and select the option of ‘Message’.
- Then, you have to take your cursor over the ‘Conversation’ option from the left side panel on the screen in the Direct Message window. Then, you have to press the ‘X’ which will appear.
- After that, the messages on your end will get deleted. However, you have to be careful as there will be no confirmation messages. Hence, you should not press ‘X’ on the conversation you don’t want to delete.
This is the only procedure that you can follow to clear chat in Discord for the direct messages.
Procedure for Deleting Channel Messages:
Channel Messages have different methods for removing the message. Here are the three methods by which you can delete the Discord messages:-
Deleting the Messages Manually
Follow the given steps for manually deleting Channel Messages from your Discord application:
- At first, you have to open the channel which contains the messages that you want to delete.
- Then, until you see a 3-dot icon to appear on the right corner of the screen, you have to move your cursor over the message. When the icon will appear, you have to click on it. After that, from the menu, you have to select the ‘Delete’ option.
- After that, you will see a window appearing on the screen which will ask you to confirm your decision to ‘Delete’. You have to press the ‘Delete’ option to complete the process.
This process is suitable for deleting a small number of messages. However, if you want to delete a huge number of messages, then this method is not suitable. The following methods are appropriate for deleting messages in masses.
Discord Bot for Deleting Messages
This method of “Discord delete all messages” uses a bot. This bot is designed specifically for deleting messages. There are many bots available for this process, but among all the bots, the MEE6 is the best. Its method is very simple and hence makes it easier to use for the users.
- First of all, you have to log in to the server of Discord.
- Then, you have to enter the website of MEE6.
- After that, you have to click on the option of ‘Add to Discord’. Then, you have to click on the ‘Authorize’ option. This grants the bot permission for working on the server.
- Then, you have to select the server you want to delete the messages from.
- Next, the MEE6 will ask you for permission for deleting the messages. Then, click on the ‘Authorize’ option.
- After that, from the Control Panel of MEE6, you have to make the Moderation plugin to be enabled. When the MEE6 will get installed, you can delete the messages by using the wide variety of commands it offers.
For deleting the messages for a particular user, you can use the ‘!clear @username’ command. This will allow you to delete up to 100 of the previous messages for that user. You can use the ‘!clear 1000’ command if you want to delete the last 1000 messages on a channel. The number in the command indicates the number of messages you want to delete.
Hence, you can change the number if you want. However, 1000is the maximum limit. Furthermore, if you are looking for methods on how to mass delete messages on Discord, then undoubtedly this is one of the easiest methods.
Create a Clone of the Channel
Another way by which you can delete the messages is by taking the channel and cloning it. With this method, you will be able to create a new copy of the channel. However, it will not copy the old messages in the history of the channel.
- First of all, you have to make the list of all the bots on your channel. This is because, by cloning the channel, the bots might not get copied.
- After that, you have to right-click on the channel that you would like to clone.
- Then, you have to choose the Clone Channel.
- Next, for the cloned channel, you can rename it if you want.
- After that, click on the ‘Create Channel’ option.
- Then, you have to select the old channel and delete it.
- Lastly, you can add the bots you want on the new channel you have created.
With cloning, all the users of the users from the previous channel will be added to the new one. It will also recreate the permission for everyone. This process is easier than building a new channel. In this new channel, all the old messages will be gone. Moreover, users will not have their settings changed. This is another effective method of clearing chats on Discord.
Hope, from the discussions made above, you are able to solve the problem of “how to clear Discord chat?” These solutions are the most effective and the simplest solutions that you can use. You can choose the method of your preference for clearing the chats of Discord in a hassle free way.