Google Assistant is a very useful service present primarily in Android devices. It helps the users to perform actions by using voice commands. You can initiate this assistant just by saying ‘OK Google’. However, some of its users reported that they are facing problems with Google Assistant. It simply doesn’t respond to the voice command ‘OK Google’. If you are one such user and are asking questions like “why is my Ok Google not working”? then you are in the right place. Here, I will be discussing some easy fixes for this Google Assistant problem.
Solutions for Ok Google detection not working
As mentioned, OK Google is the voice command to initiate the Google assistant and when you face problems with it, it may seem a complex issue indeed. However, in most cases, the issue with Google Assistant is fixable using some really easy solutions. So, let us check the most effective solutions to this problem with Google Assistant not working.
Solution 1. Retrain the voice model
You can start by checking the voice command setup. It is possible that you did not set up the voice command correctly which will make the Google Assistant unable to recognize your voice.
- Open Google Assistant. Go to the top right corner of the screen and click on the three-dot icon. From the drop-down menu, click on the option of “Settings”.
- Within this option, you have to go down the page and locate the option of “Assistant devices”. Find your device and click on it.
- After this, select the option of “Voice Model”. Within this option, click on the option of the “Retrain voice model”. You can follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Now, try to use Google Assistant and see if the ‘Ok Google not working’ error is solved or not.
Also Read: Mobile Repair Services
Solution 2. Delete the cache of Google apps
You can also try clearing the cache of Google apps to solve this problem.
- Go to the Settings option of your phone.
- Locate the option of Apps and tap on it.
- Click on Google and then click on the option of Storage.
- Here, you have to click on the button of “Clear Cache”.
Now, close the Settings option and see if the problem of ‘Ok Google is not working’ is fixed or not.
Solution 3. Google app reinstallation
You can also reinstall the Google app if you find that clearing the cache has not solved the problem.
- Open the application of the Play Store and search for “Google”.
- From the search result, click on the option of “Google”. Here, you have to click on the button of “Uninstall” to uninstall the Google app.
- Now, restart your device and go to the Play Store again.
- Search for Google and this time, click on the button of “Install”. The installation will take only a few seconds to complete.
Check the Google Assistant and see if the ‘Ok Google detection not working’ problem is resolved or not.
Solution 4. Check the mic of your device
Google Assistant requires the use of your mic to function. Without the mic, it will not be able to hear your voice commands and hence will not be able to act accordingly. So, to check the mic on your device, open any app for recording and record some audio. Now, play it back to see if the sound has been captured properly not. If yes, then you might have some other problem. However, if the mic is faulty, then you have to repair your mic as soon as possible.
Solution 5. Examine the language settings of your device
It is also possible that the command “Ok Google” is not working because of incorrect language settings. To check the settings, follow the steps given below.
- Open your Google app and click on the option of “More”.
- After that, click on the option of “Settings”.
- Then, select the option of “Voice” and then select the option of “Language”.
- Here, check if the language is set to your preference. If not, set the right language.
Now, access the Google Assistant and see if the Ok Google detection not working problem still persists or not.
Solution 6. If you are a Samsung user, disable Bixby
It is seen that Google Assistant is not compatible with Bixby. The reason is not clear yet. So, if you are a Samsung user, you must disable Bixby if you want to use Google Assistant. To do this, locate the app and then open the info page by long-pressing the app icon. Here, click on the option of “Disable”. This completes the disabling process. Check your Google Assistant and see if the problem of Ok Google not working is fixed.
Solution 7. Check the easy fixes
You must always check the obvious things like internet connections over Wi-Fi or mobile data. Google Assistant needs internet data to work. Also, do a quick restart of your device. Restarting can solve many problems with mobile phones. Also, the most important part is to check if the detection of “Ok Google” is activated or not. Go to Settings and locate the option of “Search”. Here, click on the option of “Voice”. Then, go to the option of “Voice Match” and turn the toggle switch on.
Solution 8. Turn off battery saver and adaptive battery
Sometimes, features like battery saver interfere with the Google Assistant and cause hindrance to its functions. So, turning these features is one of the obvious methods to fix this problem. Follow the given steps to turn these features off:-
- Go to the Settings on your device.
- Click on the option of “Battery”.
- Here, locate the option of “Adaptive Battery” and then, for the option of “Use Adaptive Battery”, toggle the switch off.
- Also, locate the option of Battery Saver and then toggle the switch off.
After the completion of this process, check if the Ok Google is not working problem is fixed or not.
Solution 9. Update the Google app
If your Google app is out of date, it can also give rise to this problem. To update the app, follow these steps:-
- Go to the Play Store application on your phone.
- In the search bar, type Google. From the search result, click on the option of Google.
- Within the option, click on the button of “Update”. The updating process will take very little time to complete.
Now, close the Play Store and see if you are still facing the problem of “Ok Google is not working”.
I hope that you have followed all the solutions thoroughly and will be able to solve the Google Assistant problem successfully. These are very effective and easy to implement fixes. You should implement the solutions one by one and see which one fixes the problem for you.