BIOS or Basic Input Output System is a software that provides communication between the operating system and the hardware. Due to this reason, BIOS is a very important part of a computer. This is located on the motherboard of the computer. BIOS update is important since it helps in the proper functioning of the hardware along with the OS. With the update, many fixes and enhancements are introduced which helps in maintaining the compatibility between the software and the hardware. BIOS, unlike other apps, have to be manually updated.
You do not necessarily have to update your BIOS if your computer is working properly. However, if you wish to update it, you can follow the procedures discussed below.
Procedures to Update BIOS
Updating your BIOS will help your system to maintain stability. Additionally, it will boost the security of the system and also reduce its vulnerability. Before you start the updating process, you must keep a power backup system ready. Because if the power goes out, your computer will turn off and this can corrupt the BIOS itself. If this happens, your boot DVD will be useless. So, to download the latest BIOS update, you have to visit the official site of your computer manufacturers.
Updating the BIOS on your Dell Laptops
After going to the official website of Dell, you have to enter the serial number or Service Tag of your device to identify it.
- If you see that the displayed system is not the one you are using, then you have to click on the option of “View a different product”. Now, browse manually to search for your product. After locating your system, you have to open the pull-down category and go to the BIOS.
- However, if you find that there are multiple files, then select the latest one. You will be able to see the details by clicking the option of “View Details”.
- Now, download the file and save it on your desktop.
- After that, go to the icon and double click on it. This will reboot the laptop and open up the update page of BIOS.
The updating process time will vary for different products.
Create a Bootable USB to Update BIOS
You can also download the .exe file of the BIOS on a bootable USB drive for the updating process. To download the BIOS file, you have to visit the website of the manufacturer of your laptop. To successfully make a bootable USB drive, you can use the “Dell Diagnostic Deployment Package”. After that, follow the steps discussed below:-
- Download the .exe file of BIOS from the website.
- Now, copy this .exe file to the USB drive.
- After that, connect the USB drive to the laptop for which you want to do the BIOS update.
- Then, do a reboot and press the key of F12. Make sure that the USB drive containing the BIOS is connected to the laptop.
- Now, from the boot options, select USB Storage device.
- A command prompt will open up on the screen.
- After that, you have to complete the update process by following the on-screen instructions.
Update BIOS on your HP laptops
As I have told earlier, the process of updating BIOS is different for different manufacturers. So, follow the steps given below to update the BIOS on your HP laptops:-
- Visit the web page of “HP Software & Driver Downloads” and select the model of your laptop.
- After that, select the OS.
- On this web page, you will be able to find many updates for your laptop. You have to check the section of BIOS on this web page. However, if you see that the option of BIOS is not available, then it means that the BIOS you are running is the latest one.
- When you are installing a BIOS update, always make sure that the update is meant for your system model. If you install a wrong BIOS, your laptop may get damaged severely. You must check the information of your system to avoid any confusion.
- After selecting the correct BIOS, download it and save it on your laptop.
- Now, temporarily disable all your security and anti-virus software.
- Next, go to the BIOS file and double click on it. Then, install the BIOS by following the instructions onscreen.
- When the installation process is completed, you will be prompted to restart your laptop. After the laptop turns back on, the process of the update will be completed.
Update BIOS on Lenovo Laptops Using Lenovo System Update
If you are a Lenovo user, then using the “Lenovo System Update” is the best way for you to update the BIOS. However, you can also visit the official site of “Lenovo Support” and manually install the BIOS. You can follow these steps to complete the process:-
- After entering the Lenovo Support site, you have to select the option of “Product”. Then, select the option of “Drivers & Software”. Now, click on “BIOS”. After that, choose your OS.
- It is advised by Lenovo that you disable all the firewalls and antivirus softwares before starting the update process of BIOS.
- After the download is complete, you have to extract and run the file. You can follow the on-screen command to complete this process.
- When you will be prompted to restart your laptop, do it and you have updated your BIOS successfully.
Update BIOS Using WinFLASH on your ASUS Laptop
If you are using an Asus Laptop, you can use the utility of “WinFLASH”. After installing WinFLASH, you have to install the BIOS.
Follow these steps:-
- Type in the model number of your laptop in the search bar of the official Asus site.
- After that select the option of “Support”.
- Then, you have to click the “Driver & Tools” button.
- Now, select the correct Windows version and model name.
- After that, open the option of “BIOS-Utilities” and download WInfFlash’s latest version.
You have now successfully installed WinFlash. Now let us see how you can do the BIOS update from here. Follow these steps:-
- Open WinFlash.
- Select the option of “Next”.
- You will be given two options to download your BIOS file.
a. Get BIOS from the Web- This will help you to download the BIOS file from the internet.
b. Get BIOS from Device- With this option, you will be able to access the BIOS file that is saved on your computer or USB drive.
- Select the option you want and then select the option of “Update”.
- The BIOS update process will take about 2-3 minutes.
- When the process is completed, you have to click on the option of “Exit”. This will launch an auto-reboot of your laptop. After the computer turns back on, your BIOS update will be completed.
I hope that you understand the process to update the BIOS of your computer from the above-discussed methods. These methods are simple and easy to implement. Hence you will face no difficulty in completing the update process.