Many computer users face this error when they are trying to open a file or a program. This “api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll” error is present in the Visual Studio 2015’s Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable. But, if this file is not present there, or if it might have got corrupted, then this error may show up. However, this is not a very difficult problem to solve.
Check out the next section where we have discussed some solutions that will surely help you to get rid of this error. Just you need to apply the steps carefully.
Tips and Tricks to Solve the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is Missing Error:
Let us have a look at the different tips and tricks that you can implement in your PC to fix this error.
Trick 1: Use Windows Update to Install the Software
The Visual Studio 2015’s Visual C++ Redistributable was included in the Windows Update KB2999226. You will be able to use Windows Update to install this update easily. Follow the given below steps to complete this process successfully:-
- Open the Start Menu and in the search box, you have to type “Update”. From the search results, you have to click on the option of “Check for updates (Windows 7)” or “Check for updates (Windows 10)”.
- Now, press the “Check for updates” button.
- After this, Windows will automatically search for the available updates. If you are using Windows 7, then you have to click on the “Install Updates” option. For the Windows 10 users, the updates will be downloaded automatically by Microsoft.
- Now, reboot your system and perform the previous steps again. You have to do it until there are no updates available.
Lastly, open the file that was showing up the “api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing” error and see if the error is still showing. The problem will most likely be solved, however, if it is still showing up, you can move on to the next problem.
Trick 2: Download the Visual C++ Directly from Microsoft
You can also visit the official website of Microsoft and download the Visual C++ from there. To download it successfully, you can follow the steps stated hereunder:
- Visit the Microsoft Website and search for Visual C++.
- Then, press the “Download” button.
- After that, you have to select “x86(32)” or “x64” as your System Type. Then press the “Next” button.
- The downloading process will now start.
- After the process is complete, you have to locate the .exe file and double click on it. After that, follow the on-screen instruction for successfully completing the installation process.
Now, try to open the files or the programs showing the “api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing” error and check if it is solved.
Trick 3: Repair the Visual Studio 2015’s Visual C++ Redistributable
If you see that Visual C++ is present on your computer but still you are seeing this error, then you can try to repair it. Follow the below provided steps to repair it:-
- Open the Start menu and write “Control” in the search bar. Then, form the search result, you have to select the “Control Panel” option.
- Now, within the Control Panel, you have to select the option of “Programs and Features”.
- After that, click on the “Change” by selecting the option of “Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable” option.
- Then, click on the “Repair”.
- Next, you have to select the “Yes” option. After that, repair the Visual C++ by following the instructions that are being shown on the screen.
Now, check if the error is solved or not. Otherwise, you can try out the next solution
Trick 4: From a good PC, Copy the File of api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll
You have to find a good PC that is not having this error and has the same system configuration as yours. Then, copy the dll file from it. Follow the steps discussed here to know the process in detail.
Check the Windows System of Another Computer
So, by following these steps, you will be able to check the system configuration of another PC and confirm whether it matches with your system configuration:-
- Open the Search box by clicking the Windows logo key.
- Then, you have to write “system information” and from the search result, click on the “System Information” option.
- Here you will be able to find the system configuration.
Copy the dll file from Another Computer to your Computer
So, now you have to copy the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll file and paste it on your computer. You can do it by following the given below steps:-
- Press the E and the Windows key to open the “File Explorer”.
- After that, go to the C drive and go to the folder of “Windows”. After that, enter the folder of “System32”. Then, type the name of the dll and hit Enter. This will show you the dll file. However, if you are unable to find the dll file here, then within the folder of Windows, you are given to enter the folder of “SysWOW64”. Again, search for the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll file.
- Now, copy the dll file and paste it in the same location on your computer as it was on the other computer.
After this, check if the error is still showing up when you are trying to open a file or an application.
If you are unable to open a file or an application, then at times it seems very frustrating. Hope that you will be able to solve the “api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing” problem by using the above discussed-solutions. These are very easy and simple solutions and you will have no problem following them.