MSVCP140.dll missing is a very common problem faced by many computer users when they are trying to launch a service. One of the most important parts of Visual C++ Redistributable is the MSVCP140.dll. This dll file makes it possible for the running of all the services that require the Visual C++ application. Hence, the missing of this dll file causes an error message to show up. The message reads as:
“The program can’t start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.”
If you are facing this problem, do not worry. Here, I will be discussing the solutions to this problem.
Solutions for “MSVCP140.dll missing” error
So, let us see some of the effective and simple solutions to fix this problem.
1. Check your Recycle Bin for the missing dll file
If you have accidentally deleted this dll file, then you should check your Recycle Bin first. That is if you have not cleared your Recycle Bin after deleting the dll file. In this case, you can easily retrieve the file. You have to right-click on it and from the context menu, you have to click on the option of “Restore”. After this, your MSVCP140.dll missing error will most likely get solved.
2. Copy the dll file form a good computer
Another way of solving this error is to copy the dll file from a trusted computer and paste it on your computer. So, let’s see the process to complete this task:-
- First, you have to find a computer that has the same OS version as yours and has the same architecture.
- On the other computer, you have to open the File Explorer. After that, go to the C drive and open the folder of “Windows”. Then, enter the “System32” folder. Here, you have to locate the MSVCP140.dll file and copy it.
- Now, paste this dll file on your computer in the same location as the other computer.
Try to run the application that was showing this dll error and there is a chance that the dll missing error will get solved. However, if that does not work, you can try the next solution.
3. Reinstalling the defective software
When you are facing this error at the time of running applications like Skype, then you can try reinstalling the application. This is because the application might have the missing dll file and reinstalling it will bring back the dll file. Follow the steps below to reinstall the faulty application:-
- Go to the Start icon and right-click on it. From the menu, you have to click on the “Apps and Features” options.
- Here, you will be able to see all the apps that are installed on your computer. Locate the application that you are facing the error with.
- Select that application and then click on the button of “Uninstall’.
After this, download that software again. Install it and check if the MSVCP140.dll missing error is still showing up or not.
4. Perform a scan for virus on your computer
Another reason for this dll missing error to occur can be a virus infection. A virus can prevent the detection of this dll file. However, using Windows Defender may not be useful in this case. You have to use a robust third-party antivirus software. So, run a scan for your whole system for malware infection. The scan will take some time to complete.
When it will detect any malware, you have to follow the on-screen instructions to remove it completely from your computer. After the scan is complete, you have to restart your computer. Now, try to launch the application that was showing the MSVCP140.dll missing error and see if it has been fixed.
5. Install Windows updates
Windows Updates are very important for the smooth running of the computer. Moreover, the patches offer additional security layers to the vulnerabilities of the software. This will help to keep the hackers out. The following steps will help you to do the WIndows updates:-
- Open the Start menu and click on the icon of Settings.
- After that, go to the section “Update & Security”.
- Then, click on the button of “Check for Updates”. After that, install all the updates and then restart your system.
Now, run the application that was showing the MSVCP140.dll missing error and see if it has been fixed.
6. Run SFC
SFC or System File Checker is a built-in utility of the Windows OS. If any of your system files are corrupted, SFC will help you to detect and repair the problem. So, with the help of the following steps, you will be able to run SFC successfully:-
- Open the Start menu and in the search box, you have to write “Command Prompt” or you can just write “cmd”.
- From the search result, you have to right-click on the “Command Prompt” option. Then, from the context menu, you have to click on the option of “Run as administrator”.
- After that, in the Command Prompt window, write “sfc /scannow” and then press Enter. This command will search for the corrupted files and then fix them. With this process, you will be able to recognize the files that are corrupted. So, if there is any problem with your MSVCP140.dll file, then it will fix it. Then you will be able to use the applications again.
7. Reinstalling the Visual C++
Since this dll file is an important part of the Visual C++, any corruption to this file can cause this error. So, reinstalling the Visual C++ would solve this error. So, follow these steps to reinstall Visual C++:-
- Open the Start menu and in the search bar, you have to type “Control Panel”. After that, hit Enter.
- Then, go to the option “Programs”. After that, click on the option of “Uninstall a program”.
- Select the C++ file that you would like to delete and then right-click on it. After that, click on the option of “Uninstall”.
- To download the C++ file again, you can visit the official website of Microsoft.
- After the installation of the C++ file is completed, you have to reboot your computer.
Check if the MSVCP140.dll missing error is fixed or not.
This dll missing error causes hindrance by not allowing users to access different services and applications. So, by following these simple and effective solutions, you will be able to fix this error without any problem and continue with your important work.