The Windows error 0x80004005 is an unspecified error that occurs within the system when you are trying to extract, delete or rename folders and fail to access any shared folders and drives. You will see a pop-up dialog box when this error occurs. This problem is faced by many Windows users. If you are one such user, then you don’t have to worry. I will be discussing the solutions for the error 0x80004005.
Probable Solutions to Eliminate Error Code 0x80004005 in Windows:
So, let us see what are the methods by which you can solve this “error 0x80004005: unspecified error”.
Solution 1. Perform a Scan of System File Checker (SFC)
This Windows error 0x80004005 may be caused due to a system file corruption. However, this problem can be solved by “System File Checker”. Its main task is to take the corrupted system files and repair them. By following the given steps, you can utilize the SFC and solve this error 0x80004005:-
- First of all, you have to press X and the Windows key simultaneously to open the Command Prompt.
- After that, you have to write the following to run the tool of Deployment Image Servicing and Management on your Windows.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Then, type ‘sfc /scannow’ in the prompt to run the SFC scan. After writing the command, you have to press Enter.
This process will be completed in 20-30 minutes. Then, if you see that the scan has repaired a file, then you have to restart your laptop or desktop.
Solution 2. Open the Folder and File Troubleshooter
When it comes to fixing the error code 0x80004005, the Folder and File Troubleshooter of Microsoft can prove to be very useful. You can follow the given steps to use this troubleshooter to solve this Windows error 0x80004005:-
- First of all, you have to open your browser. Then go to the Microsoft webpage and download the troubleshooter.
- After that, you have to go to the folder where you have saved the troubleshooter. Then you have to open it.
- When it has opened, you have to select the “Advanced” option. Then, you have to click on the “Apply repair automatically” option.
- After that, you have to click on the “Next” button.
- Next, you will be given an option for what kind of problem you are experiencing. You have to click on the option of your choice and then click “Next”.
Solution 3. Make your Windows Clean by Booting
This error 0x80004005 of Windows can be caused due to some conflicting software. However, this software can be removed by booting Windows. But, when you boot your Windows, it will start with a minimal number of drivers.
- You have to go to the Start menu and then press the R + Windows key simultaneously. This will open the Run dialog box.
- After that, you have to write ‘msconfig’ in the Run box. Then, you have to press “OK”. This will open the windows for System Information.
- Then, on the “General” tab, you have to click on the “Selective startup” option.
- After that, you have to uncheck the “Load startup items” box.
- Then, you have to use the “original boot configuration” option, and select the options of “Load system services”.
- Next, you have to check all the Services tab box in the System Configuration windows.
- Now, check the box for “Hide all Microsoft services”.
- After that, click on the “Disable All” button.
- Then, to confirm all the new settings, click on the “Apply” option and then “OK”.
- Next, press the “Restart” option appearing on the dialog box of System Configuration.
After your computer has booted up, you can extract, rename or delete the required files or folders. This will allow you to restore your Windows 10 with all the drivers with the help of System Configuration.
Solution 4. Acquire the Folder Ownership
The file or folder permission issue can cause this “error 0x80004005: unspecified error”. In this case, you need full access to your folder by getting the folder ownership. In order to do that, you can follow the given steps. These steps will make your effort easier.
- First, you have to go to the website of TakeOwnership and click on the “Download” option. You can save the ZIP file into any folder of your choice.
- After that, you have to Extract the ZIP file. Then click on the “Extract all” option.
- Then, you have to install the program by opening the setup wizard of TakeOwnership.
- You have to click on the Take Ownership after it has been installed. This will open the TakeOwnershipEX.
- Lastly, you have to select the files or the folders which are showing the error code 0x80004005. After selecting, press “OK”.
Solution 5. Use Command Prompt to Edit the Title of the Folder
Sometimes, while editing or deleting a folder, you may encounter this “error 0x80004005: unspecified error”. The problem can be resolved if you rename the title of the folder or the file with the help of the Command Prompt. You can follow the given steps to complete this process:-
- Open the Command Prompt from the Start menu search box or from the Cortana.
- After that, you have to open the Command Prompt as an administrator by pressing the Ctrl + Shift + Enter key simultaneously.
- Then, you can go to the folder by entering “cd:” and followed by the path in the Command Prompt. After writing the command, you have to press Enter.
- Next, you have to write ‘dir /x’ and hit the Enter button for switching the file titles and folder into the filename 8.3 formats.
- Now, you have to write the “Ren 8.3folder title new folder title” in place of the folder title in the prompt. This prompt contains the original 8.3 folder name. With the help of the command, you will be able to rename the name of the file of the folder.
- After that, you have to delete the folder by opening the File Explorer.
Hope that with the help of the above-discussed solutions, you are able to solve the Windows error 0x80004005. These are very easy solutions and you will not face any difficulty in performing them.